MH on 20 gallon long heat question

jwc161

Would MH on a 20 gallon long be overkill? Is it possible to not have a chiller on this type of setup and if so what would you recommend? I'm planning on keeping most corals, a few more forgiving SPS but no clams. Thanks so much!

teen

you would have heat issues and you would have big problems with evaporation. you would constantly be adding water to keep up with salinity changes.
your best off with vho or t-5s and you can still keep sps and otehr corals, without the heat issues.

jwc161

What would you say would be a good VHO setup? I think T5's only come in the 48" variety. Also, since this site is not selling lights can you suggest a fair priced site for this?

mopar9012

I dont think it would be over kill. I have a 175Ws of Mh over my 29 gallon. I have it 10 inches above the water though, and i plan on getting some cooling fans. Ive heard of people getting away with no chillers by putting ice in their tanks during the summer.

teen

i run 250w mh on my 30 gallon tank (40 gallon system) and i have major heat issues in the summer. the freezing soda bottle idea works, but you need to have a bunch on hand because they melt in like 2-3 minutes. i think the vhos are better suited for you.