MH questions ?

airandsea

I know that there has to be a post somewhere on swf that shows what wattage and such is good for a each tank but I can't find it on here. I am going to try and set up a small sps, lps and softies tank. Just a 10 gal to start with. Anyways, I was looking at a 175 watt MH. Is this enough, to much? Also, if you know links to learning more about lighting. Please post that. Thanks so much!!!!!

fishfreak1242

With a tank that small you would be able to use power compacts or T-5s. If you get 175w MH be prepared to have a very hot tank. I would go with T-5s. You don't have to replace the bulbs as often as MH and PCs, and they are much cooler than MH and probably less expensive.

airandsea

Would a t5 1 x 24w 10000k blue / 1 x 24w 10000k white be enough for the 10 gallon and possibly a 20 gal long???

airandsea

So when it comes down to wattage for T5's MH is there a certain wattage per gallon or wattage per inches deep???? Thanks for the help!!!!

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by airandsea
http:///forum/post/2701718
Would a t5 1 x 24w 10000k blue / 1 x 24w 10000k white be enough for the 10 gallon and possibly a 20 gal long???
For a 10 gal sure, but a 20 gal is probably pushing it and I would do 2x24w of each.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by airandsea
http:///forum/post/2702021
So when it comes down to wattage for T5's MH is there a certain wattage per gallon or wattage per inches deep???? Thanks for the help!!!!
Go to the FAQ section and read Reef Lighting By Luke. I has some good stuff that will explain almost everything you need to know about lighting.

yearofthenick

I've heard of cooler running ballasts for MH's ... is this true? Apparently the newer ones do a better job of keeping cool. Does anyone know about this and is it new technology or are the sellers of this equipment just trying to get me to buy it?

natclanwy

The ballasts they are refering to are electronic ballasts and they have been around for a number of years. They are a better choice and do run much cooler than magnetic ballasts, but it does nothing for the temperature of the lights themselves which is where most of the heat comes from.