MH users: bulbs, ballast and maybe a pic

stanlalee

I'd like to know and see. I know pictures cant always give a true representation, bulbs look different with different ballast ect ect. I still just want to know and see different bulbs, ballast, watts and hopefully a pic of what people here are using. thanks in advance.

stanlalee

okay I'll go first then you follow suite

pics are stock 150w sunpod 14k vs ushio 20k (not fully burned in which is why I didn't put up pics to begin with). pics are a month apart

alright who's next

trippkid

I'll bite. My pics are from only one type of bulb and ballast combination(I have always used 14K bulbs from the start, just up'd them from 175 to 250 last spring). Anyway, I use IceCap 250wt ballasts along with IceCap 14K bulbs, I do use two T5 actinic bulbs too, they don't really change the MH color too much, sorry if they aren't allowed in your survey.

If you would like a pic without the T5's, I'll have to put it up tomorrow. Have a good weekend.
Matt

stanlalee

no if your using supplements showing that's fine. this is just a curiousity thread just to kind of see what peeps are using. nice tank BTW!

trippkid

Thank you. Your is coming along nicely. It is a shame that your old tank broke, that was a very nice looking tank, if I remember correctly. I think I may try 20K Radiums or 12K Reeflux next time I get new bulbs, which is right around the corner I guess. Have a good day.

Matt

aquaguy24

current usa 250w mh with factory bulbs which are 10k...will be switching to pheonix 14k next month..heres a pic with the 10k..looks whitish imo..

mr_x

Originally Posted by SaltFan
http:///forum/post/2916693
Bulbs are from Aqua McKeo.
first let me say that i purchased some of those aquarmckzo lamps and had them tested. they have very low PAR. they also shift color very quickly. they are worth about what you paid for them.
secondly, i run sunlight supply "galaxy" ballasts(250 watt), which are the same as icecap ballasts except for the housing and warranty.
i've tried:
hamilton 14k- looked white to me. i wasn't impressed.
reeflux 12k- way too blue
ushio 14k- very white (high PAR)
xm 20k- blue, but not overwhelming.
(pretty good PAR for the amount of blue)
my photos aren't 100% true to life, but they might give you the general idea

and here is my tank now with three 20k xm (i think it's a little less blue than this, but my camera doesn't want to obey)

spiderwoman

Ballast left and right side; dual PFO 400W M58 (I think that is the model)
Ballast center; Icecap 400W
Bulb in all single ended EVC 14k
So far I've tried
- AquaConnect 14k (only got 1 bulb, second kept breaking in shipping)
- Radium 20k (loved it, but now the lesser blue with EVC is way better)
I do have actinic support. T5 kit with Reef blue and Super Actinics.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/2919637
hey stanalee did u know ur tank is topless and bare bottom....

and I love to stare at it

thanks for the pics everybody. dont take so long next time

so on my list to try are XM 20k and the newly revised alledgedly class leading PAR XM 15k when it comes out (suppose to be 1rst 1/4 of this year), Radium 20k, Pheonix 14k, Aquamaxx 14k, Reeflux 20k (when they come out in 150w DE), Aqualine 20k, Iwasaki 20k and 50k and megachrome 14.5k

even though I doubt they make 150w DE versions I have not seen EVC bulbs sold ANYWHERE but I hear of people using them all the time. who sells EVC? who is EVC?

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2920237
even though I doubt they make 150w DE versions I have not seen EVC bulbs sold ANYWHERE but I hear of people using them all the time. who sells EVC? who is EVC?
:) They do make that size and model, on sale for $57 (regular $79). PM me with your email address.