MH, VHO Lighting and Glass Top

geek

OK, I just got my new 220 gallon tank and I am going to be using my 75 gallon tank as my sump for the new tank. My new tank has overflows built in and is also predrilled. I have a new set of Metal Halide lights (3 x 250 Watt) and also some VHO lighting in one unit. I also have a 3 section glass top that completely covers the top of the 220 DT and I'm sure that it would help limit the amount of evaporation that I get, but should I use it with the lights that I have? If it makes a difference, I am going to be using this as a reef tank.

travis89

No, you should leave the glass tops off. You will have a lot of problems with heat if you don't. If you get fish that jump, then use either egg-crate or fiberglass screen to cover the tank.

geek

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I am also putting this tank into a wall in my bedroom and the oposite side of the wall is a large walk in closet, which even in the summer is the coldest room inthe house as it has no windows, but there's vents installed for the housewide heat/cold exchange. Additionally, we live in Maine so it's pretty cool here most all of the time. I don't think that heat would be a problem, but would there be any reason besides heat not to have the glass tops on?

nycbob

i'd take the part of the glasstop off where its under the bulbs. heating will be an issue even if ur room temp is 65-70. even with the top off, u still might need a chiller. try having a fan blow air across the top of the water surface.

zman1

Leave the glass tops off - evaporative cooling will aid in some heat transfer for the radiant heat caused by the lighting. A fan would also help as memtioned.