MH Wiring Question

jpc763

I was wondering if there would be any harm in putting an ON/OFF switch between a ballast and a socket in a MH system. The ballast would still be powered, but the bulb would be out.
Another alternative is to put an ON/OFF Between the ballast and the wall.
Is there a preference?
Thanks, John

hurt

Personally, I wouldn't do either. All you need is a timer to plug the ballast into, that way you never have to worry about turning the ballast on and off.
However if you really want to turn your lights on and off every day, just plug the ballasts into a power strip...which will serve as your on/off switch...

jpc763

Originally Posted by Hurt
http:///forum/post/2911015
Personally, I wouldn't do either. All you need is a timer to plug the ballast into, that way you never have to worry about turning the ballast on and off.
However if you really want to turn your lights on and off every day, just plug the ballasts into a power strip...which will serve as your on/off switch...
Thanks for the input. I plan on having them plugged into a timer. There will be times when I will remove the canopy for maintenance. That is the time that I would like to "flip a switch" to turn them off.
In my current tank, I have a "quick disconnect" that I use to cut the power to the bulb, which leaves the ballast still powered. So I thought I would look for a more elegant solution.

hurt

Just use both as I do...I have both my MH ballasts, as well as a fan, plugged into a power strip, which in turn plugs into a timer. So, if for any reason I want to turn my MH's off during the day when the timer is on, all I do is flip the switch on power strip.

hurt

I completely forgot my timers also have on/off switches....Though, I still have to use the power strip because I run 3 plugs(2 ballasts and a fan) off that timer.

acrylic51

I understand what your saying about the on/off switches, and could easily be done with timers that have the manual on/off switches, but you would probably be better having the switch from the wall to the ballast IMO......

scsinet

You should never put a switch in between the ballast and the socket.
Regular switches are not rated to handle the starting pulse. If it's a probe start ballast, you are pushing things with the several hundred volt pulse. If it's an electronic or pulse start ballast, you are talking 4kv or so.
In either case, the switch isn't capable of handling it.

jpc763

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2911706
You should never put a switch in between the ballast and the socket.
Regular switches are not rated to handle the starting pulse. If it's a probe start ballast, you are pushing things with the several hundred volt pulse. If it's an electronic or pulse start ballast, you are talking 4kv or so.
In either case, the switch isn't capable of handling it.
Thank you sir! Question answered! I think the idea of the timer with the powerstrip is the one I will go with. Thanks everyone.
J