Microscopic pics of Ich

keeshcarm

I can't get the entire parasite in the camera view but here are parts of what I believe are ich. I have had this tang in Hypo since July 14. I have a new calibrated refractometer and his tank is at 1.008. Why won't these creeps fall off? I am going to lose this purple tang! Today he is showing signs of stress and is weakening. Is there anything I can do for him?

deejeff442

if the so called ich hasnt fallen off in 5-7 days and has been in hypo since you first seen the spots it is not ich.
can you get a pic of the whole fish?

flower

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3104170
if the so called ich hasnt fallen off in 5-7 days and has been in hypo since you first seen the spots it is not ich.
can you get a pic of the whole fish?
+1

deejeff442

that doesnt look like ich to me.
yea the hlle is pretty bad that wont help.
you need to let us know the timelines of those spots.
how long have they been there ,are they growing or spreading to different parts of his body.
since the first time you seen the spots have they gone away then came back?
odd that he dont have any on his fin.
i think you said he is in a qt
you might want to go to pet-smart and get some maracyn 2 for infection.
how does the water tests look?
it sucks but there are a few diseases that look like ich and all are treated different.
trick is to keep them alive while we play doctor.

keeshcarm

Thank you for the help. I took the scraping today and according to the book I have (Diseases in Marine Aquarium Fish by Bassleer) the spots match the example of Cryptocaryon in the book. My microscope's camera will not focus on such a large specimen only partial. I am no expert though, far from it. There are probably many parasites on Marine fish that look alike to lay persons.
Spots appeared July 14. Started hypo at 1.009. The spots did not change, go away, nor do they move.
Lowered hypo to 1.008 in case my refractometer was off.
On July 17 I put him through 5 days of Maracyn 2. It was recommended to stop the treatment.
Should I retry the Maracyn 2 again? or maybe another antibiotic?
I just bought new PH meter, will calibrate and retest. Chem tests fine, no am, NO2, NO3 less than 10. This QT has been up for many months with frequent water changes. Its only 20 gal.
Also, there are spots on his tail and a couple on his fins that do not show in the pic. The spots do not seem to increase or change.
help!!!

deejeff442

if these spots have been there for over a week and not changes no matter if it is in hypo or not .it is not ich.
looks like lympho .
it takes 3-4 weeks to go away there is no medications for it just good water and keeping the fish eating.
if the fish is stressed and/or the water is not good it will grow and kill the fish.
ich has a life cycle when you first see it on the fish it will drop off him within a week ,go into the sand or rock multiply and come back 100 or more times worst within 2 weeks.
since he has been in there for 3 weeks with no change i would start to slowly raise the salt back to normal levels to reduce stress.
keep the water perfect add garlic and zoe to the food to help him eat.
i feed twice a day to sick fish and do more often water changes.
you need to get the fish eating with vitimines and keep him stress free and he will heal up.
my purple tang has been through alot over the 8 or so years i have had him he has always came back to health .
i would add the maracyn 2 as long as the tank is wellcycled because it will kill some good bacteria .

sepulatian

It looks like lympho to me as well. Ich is round and smooth. Jagged edges and cottony point toward lymphocystis. Stop adding the Maracyn, there is no infection...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I believe it is lymphocystis.
Slowly raise the salinity to normal.
Don't take anymore specimens, or try to handle this fish.
Give us your current water readings.

keeshcarm

My purple tang is doing so much better now. He went from extremely sick, swimming upside down and laying on his side, very close to death, to happy and eating like a pig again! I can't believe he pulled thru this. Thank you all for your help in saving his life!!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by keeshcarm
http:///forum/post/3107260
My purple tang is doing so much better now. He went from extremely sick, swimming upside down and laying on his side, very close to death, to happy and eating like a pig again! I can't believe he pulled thru this. Thank you all for your help in saving his life!!
That is great to hear