Microsoft Windows Vista

reckler

There were some good points brought up with this new OS. I pretty much agree with everyone here. don't get it until you really need it. The other thing is that for the people that do have older computers, they will gave to upgrade theirs or buy a new one. If this would have been just an upgrade to XP, I think it would have sold faster and more copies.
Oh well, it's here now and all we can do is sit and wait for the calls to come in for all the people that did get it and can't get it to work for them.
XP does run older programs through "program compatibility wizard". I can't see Vista not including this in their program too.
Price wise, IMO, way to expencive! I will wait until the price drops also. XP works for me just fine.

bayside

i got a laptop at christmas time so when buying it they said i could bring it in when vista comes out and i could get the upgrade at no cost. i have another pc at home too so do u think i should bring it in a get the upgrade or wait a bit?

nigerbang

I was looking at Benchmark results of Vista-vs-XP sp2
It was insane...Vista was dragging on every thing they tested on..Esp with Games..I think they tested, Call Of Duty, Half-Life2, and something else and Vista was running like crap compared to SP2. I myself cant stand Winblows of any sort but..eh what you gonna do..Atleast with XP they got rid of the Blue Screen Of Death..Now it just reboots...Bill Gates..the man rich off of a stolen product..

zman1

I plan on upgrading since I bought XP Pro w/Upgrade for my desktop. I have been trying to use my redemption number on-line with Microsoft's outsourced upgrade program. I have exchanged eight emails with them. First the code number wan't on file, they fixed that, then bailed out on the VAT tax link (I asked why VAT, we're not part of EU), Then was told to try again, code number then said already used, they reset that and now twice died on the tax link again. This has gone on since 11-14-06
My last email I guess was to negative, it's been quite ever since.
Last email sent -12-18-06
Hopefully the goal isn't to wear me down, so I just give up or until the
redemption vouchers are no longer valid....
Same error as last time. I have attached a screen shot for your review.
I have to say at least you respond. However, it is one of the most poorly
executed programs I have seen.
If you would like, I can take a screen shot of each screen I go through up
to the ERROR. Let me know if this will help.

shogun323

Originally Posted by NigerBang
It was insane...Vista was dragging on every thing they tested on..Esp with Games..I think they tested, Call Of Duty, Half-Life2, and something else and Vista was running like crap compared to SP2.
Unreal. The recommended specs are a beast. How much you want to bet that in the next few months Intel and AMD will have an "alleged" breakthrough in technology and start creating 5+ gigahertz processors. :thinking:

I myself cant stand Winblows of any sort but..eh what you gonna do..Atleast with XP they got rid of the Blue Screen Of Death..Now it just reboots...Bill Gates..the man rich off of a stolen product..
Hahahaa it is definately a stolen product. I love how Internet explorer 7 is nearly identical to firefox. The Vista Interface reminds me a bit of the Mac OS as well.

watson3

It was insane...Vista was dragging on every thing they tested on..Esp with Games..I think they tested, Call Of Duty, Half-Life2, and something else and Vista was running like crap compared to SP2. I myself cant stand Winblows of any sort but..eh what you gonna do..Atleast with XP they got rid of the Blue Screen Of Death..Now it just reboots...Bill Gates..the man rich off of a stolen product..
Thats like playing Xbox 360 games on an Xbox..The games werent made for that system..See what I am saying

ruaround

i heard today that 95% of online games are not compatible... i will stick with XP until forced into Vista when i purchase a new PC in a year or so...

phixer

To H$LL with another one of thier feeble attempts to conquer the world.

Im thinking about getting a Mac instead.

ice4ice

Vista = $200 XP update. LOL !!
I'd wait a few months and let Microsoft get their bugs worked out. Plus not too many software is compatable to Vista yet. Some are but not alot are. It's better to buy a new computer with Vista installed. Otherwise, it'll be like a 1-2 hour job to update it from your existing XP OS.
My advice - wait on it. If you're in the market for a new CPU, make sure you get AT LEAST 2 Gig or better and get a Dual Core processor, don't skimp on the graphics cards and the memory. Oh yeah, go for wide screen monitor also.

ice4ice

This afternoon I went to Dell website and configured a new CPU (XSP400)with Windows Ultimate version and the other goodies with a grand total of $1866 (minus the monitor & speakers - I'm using what I have at home.) Although I was disappointed they give me the choice to have the Extreme WiFi sound card. It only gives me the Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio card.

reckler

Zman do you build all your own computers or just buy them. I would like some input on how you clock your processor for performance. I have mine set to default now, but was thinking about tweeking it a little higher. My luck I will crash my system.

I have a custom built computer I built myself by the way..
I I have an AMD athalon64 processor, MSI mother board.
I can't remember everything. The doc have me on some pretty strong drugs
for my back and I can't concentrate verywell right now.
I will try and find my spec sheet for the system and get back to you..

zman1

I build most and have bought a few. The AMD desktop is home bulit. I tried to overclock the MB/Proc and didn't have a positive result on this one. I was able to overclock an old Intel PII when it was new.
AMD 3800
Abit KN8 SLI MB

shogun323

Originally Posted by reckler
I I have an AMD athalon64 processor, MSI mother board.
I can't remember everything.
I love MSI boards. I used to use them exclusively when it was cost effective to build clone systems at work or to sell. I never had any problems with them.

robn

I've been running Vista for about 4 months and really like it. I think some people will be upset when they find out they will need more memory and a better graphics card though.....you can run Vista with a lower end graphics card, but you don't get the "Aero" effect of quasi-tiled windows, transparency, etc.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by TX Reef
I am ordering a new laptop for my wife next week from Dell. I am going to be stuck with Vista whether I want it or not.
I work at radioshack, and although radioshack sucks. We still have XP laptops we have an off brand acer that is a halfway desent deal. Unless you are gaming.