Microwave died. For realz??

aquaknight

Our GE over-the-range microwave/exhaust fan died today. Tossed something in, hit the auto 2min button, and the house lights dimmed for a split second and the microwave went completely dead (no clock or anything). It's already removed, and I tested the built-in fuse to no avail.
Build date is January 2007, can't honestly believe a microwave this new bit the dust already. I think we still have one from the 80's in storage that still works...
Anyone else recently have newer microwave go bad? Did you get it repaired or just get a new one?

scott t

My Grandmother had one from the 1980's that lasted over 20 years before it quit working.. She bought a new one when it quit, and after about 3 maybe 4 years the new one just stopped working, so she went and bought a new one. So she has had 2 new ones in the matter of about 6 years or so, compared to the one that was from the 1980's that lasted over 20 years. With the Price of Micorwaves now, It would be a lot more expensive to get one fixed than to just go out and buy another one.
Just my .02

2quills

Yeah they are pretty cheap these days. But the combo microwave and exhaust are usually a little more expensive. The fact that your lights went dim just before makes me think that it was a short. If you're not apposed to opening it up I'd look for the capacitor, either that went bad and or maybe one of the connections shorted out. That would be my guess if it doesn't turn out to be a short in the house hold circuit somewhere. Honestly they just don't make capacitors nowadays like they used to so it's pretty common for them to crap out after only a few years.

aquaknight

Yea, the replacement GE (think it's called the Adora series) is $350 from HD
.... Would expect better for a higher-end microwave. Maybe being a fan/over the range one, shortened it's life due to the heat? We have all similar GE appliances, I think the main problem will be deciding to get another GE to match the other appliances, and if the new one will live for any length of time... .
It's removed and in the garage. I took off the rear cover as I was sure there was some sort of built in fuse, there was, but the fuse tested fine. Didn't happened to see anything out of the ordinary, scorched circuit board or anything, but wasn't looking too hard. Plugged it in the garage, no luck. Kitchen outlet tested fine.

2quills

My money is on the capacitor then. I have to replace them on a/c's all the time, even after just a few years. Sometimes you get lucky and they will last for several years before they go.
Do you have a model number for that microwave?

ironeagle2006

Tell me about GE appliances being CRAP bought a GE Toploading HE washer Never Freaking Again. GE has had to replace the ENTIRE Washer 3 times in less than a YEAR for Warrenty issues. First one the freaking Tub exploded 2 months into owning it. Second one the Motor Squirrel Caged and took out the Drive mechanism and shattered the drive pulley also. Last one was the Best however. The Front half of the 4 bolts that are the Suspension system Broke with a load in it then the fill valve blew apart on it then to really make things fun it caught Fire. So far the Last one has lasted 5 months with no issues Knocking on WOOD.
I have a 3 year Extended Warrenty on the First one I have YEt to even get to yet sincve I have replaced the original 3 times so far the factory is 1 year long. Told the wife We are getting a LG when the extended warrenty is up on the Washer.