Midas Blenny Questions

lietz06

So I am wanting to get a Midas Blenny for my tank. It's tankmates would be Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Blue Hippo Tang, Spotted Hawkfish, 2 Clownfish..and a few different corals & inverts. Would that fish fit in? I was also wanting to get a lawnmower blenny as well, would those two clash What are their personalities like? Any other info would be appreciated Thanks!

tetsuo

I'm going through the same dilemma. I asked the same question on another forum and I was told that the lawnmower might end up picking on the midas or vice-versa depending on which one is introduced first. I was told that they might be ok in a larger tank, mine is a 125 and I was told it might be ok, but I don't know if I want to risk it. I already have a lawnmower and he's extremely curious. He perches on rock most of the time, but when he sees food he launches at it faster than the other fish. I might end up giving it a shot buying a midas and hope that it goes well since I have tons of LR and caves in my tank.

nicetry

Midas blennies are nice little fish. I've kept them before. In a larger tank they tend to keep to themselves and other fish won't bother them. not sure about the lmb, which can be prety pushy to other similar fish. One of the midas I kept pestered a fairy wrasse pretty regularly and would nip at it's tail. They will also go after smaller shy fish like gobies and dartfish, but overall don't bother with much. It's one of those "you won't know until you try" situations but midas blennis are generally a nice addition to a salt tank.

lietz06

alright, thanks for the input you guys:) I went ahead and got a midas today. I wanted to get the midas and lawnmower at the same time but the store didnt have any lawnmowers.

al mc

Originally Posted by lietz06
http:///forum/post/3148194
alright, thanks for the input you guys:) I went ahead and got a midas today. I wanted to get the midas and lawnmower at the same time but the store didnt have any lawnmowers.
As you probably know these guys are great jumpers. So, use eggcrate over the tank if it is not completely covered by a hood or top already. IMHO, the
Midas is a more striking fish to look at but the LMBs have plenty of personality. In my tank I added the midas months after the lmb and they chased each other quite a bit. They finally set up their own turfs an opposite sides of the 156g tank.