mildly new to saltwater

doog32226

I was curious about something. I live in Jacksonville, Florida and I know that you can use sand from the Florida Keys. I was wondering if I can use some from a beach around here. The sand is really clean and nice color. I am currently using some in my kids hermit crab tank. Can I use it in a reef tank if I set up a new tank and let it circulate for 3-4 weeks? Also, can I start my tank up using ocean water?

earlybird

I wouldn't b/c of pollutants. If you went 40 miles offshore to get your sand it would be okay but I believe you need a license to do this.

doog32226

Thats kind of what I figured. I just wondered since it was a new tank if I went out during low tide and went waste deep to get the sand it would be alright. I would also kick the temp up quite a bit to kill off any pollutants and things. I was hoping to use the sand since its so expensive.

baloo6969

hey man, i've said it 1901087424 times, there are MANY ways to save money and cut corners in the hobby, Check out the DIY section of this forum, TONS of great ideas and cheep alternatives...
I would also kick the temp up quite a bit to kill off any pollutants and things. <--pollutants like Gas, Oil, Garbage, dead Bodies, medical waste, and metals dont go away by turning up a 200watt heater to 90 degrees.
saving 50$ on getting sand from the beach OR paying the 50$ for some live sand....there's no thinking to be done.
A cheeper alternative is to get some "sand" non-silica based, and get a cup or 2 of LS from an established system, and pour it ontop...it will take much longer for it to cycle...but it will work...just buy it from SWF...good stuff.

mr. green

Originally Posted by Doog32226
Thats kind of what I figured. I just wondered since it was a new tank if I went out during low tide and went waste deep to get the sand it would be alright. I would also kick the temp up quite a bit to kill off any pollutants and things. I was hoping to use the sand since its so expensive.
I believe you need like 120 degree Celsius (yes that is like 250F) to kill off bacteria and sterilize. You will not kill off anything with an aquarium heater, probably turning up the heat would cause some things to bloom since it will not get that hot, just warmer. Also, you are not going to get rid of any trace metals that could be present by doing this. This hobby is not cheap, but you can save money. Like it was mentioned before, buy your sand or search what others have done.

ophiura

Also be sure before you collect anything that you check on the law and whether it is legal.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Doog32226
Yeah, I know what you guys mean. What sand do you all normally use or suggest?
True live sand is great and they sell it here. Check out Caribsea bagged sand and do a search for sand as a lot of people buy dry sand (agronite) and rinse it really good but it has to be a certain sand. I believe they get it at hardware stores.

doog32226

Just a thought. Can I get sand from the ocean here and let it dry out? Will that kill most of the bacteria and all in the sand and then add like a bag of aragonite?