Minimum recommended time after mixing water?

blackdog

I'm doing a water change and just added Instant Ocean to a 5 gal tub of DI water being circulated with a powerhead. Normally I wait at least 8 hours before adding newly mixed water to the tank. Is there a minimum time I should wait or is it OK once SG and temp match my tank?

javajoe

I personally think its good to wait, but in emercency circumstances, i guess you could be ok after 4 hrs or so-- just amke sure your temp matches too--- salinity will change as temp rises...

rockster

MAny say 4 hours under powerhead is enough but personally I like to "age" the water a bit at least a day before adding.

salty rick

I guess anyone can learn something new everyday. I have never heard of aging the water. I usually mix it up and pour it in. I haven't had any problems doing it this way. I guess I'll have to age mine and give it a try and see if there is a difference.

reeferx

If you can wait a day or so that's best.
Powerheads are great, but airstones should be mentioned to help the water equal out with atmospheric gases, temp., etc..
If you already have a tank with fish, you might want to use a heater too.

M

megabyte

I agree with Salty Rick. I make my water, add salt if I have to add buffer and possibly aragamilk. I give it a quick swirld and dump it right away. I just make sure the temp is pretty close. I add five gallons like this to a 220 gallon tank so I don't think it is the same as dumping 5 gallons of newly mixed water in to a 55 gallon tank. Then again I know someone who does it this way also and has no problems.

rockster

Small changes do not make a lot of difference, but if you like to see the effect of the fresh mix salt water on your fish try changing larger amount of water, see what happens to your fishes.

nm reef

I don't see how it could hurt to set the temp & SG ... as well as ph & calcium... close to system levels then let it stabalise for 12-24 hours before using it.Sometimes I see small changes in my fresh water from when I first set it up until when I actually use it....couldn't hurt to let it get stable prior to doing a water change. :cool:

byrself

i try to wait at least 24 hours with a powerhead if possible. too fresh and you will have an ich breakout :mad:

q

I would do at least 4 hours also. I have noticed a SG flux on occasion if I do it any quicker. Get the temp matched as soon as possiable.
Just my guess.

tykill

I age mine over night at room temp. I always add buffer to every 5 gallons I make(keeps the Ph stable always). Usally takes a good 24 Hr for the buffer to take effect.

byrself

you can also notice that when you use water that you have "aged", it will look as clear as your tank water when you pour it in, and not like it does when it's fresh (like it's hazy until it get's mixed around in your tank)

blackdog

Thanks, all. Imagine that: 15 responses and 15 different techniques, who would have thought? ;) But looks like the consensus is to age the water for a day. I'm going to get a larger tub for doing water changes bc the 5-gal container I was using was a pain for a larger water change. Also I didn't know about aerating or adding buffer ahead of time. I didn't do either of those things, so I'll be checking params tomorrow. I did a 25% change on my 55-gal over the last two days. I was getting pH, kH, and Ca readings that I couldn't seem to bring in line using Kent ProBuffer and Liquid Calcium.

I was tought to pur the salt in to the tank and and water. I would be ok to mix in the tank as the fish swim in it. I never did this at home but when i work for a tank cleaning This what my boss told me. I'm lucky enough to get filtered sea water. Heat it over night and do my water change. I tought I'd share.

beecher

I use my QT to mix my water. I always have it full of water with the parameters the same as my main tank. I always have a fresh supply of water for changes and emergency water changes, plus my QT is always up and running in case I get the bug to buy a fish. I found a easy way to mix the salt in the QT tank also, I use a hang on the back type filter without the filter cartridges in it. I fill the tank with water, then pour the salt in the filter reservoir where the cartridges normally go. Over time (usually a few hours) the constant flow of water through the filter reservoir mixes the salt and water into the tank. I've tried pouring the salt directly into the tank and I always have salt residue in the corners where the flow isnt so good.

javajoe

i am reposting- giveing more details on how i do my water changes.
I use a 30 gallon storage tub and get about 14 gallons on RO water from our LFS. (we have not bought an RO unit yet- plus we can see the new crittesr :) )
I take 4 gallons out and put it in a coralife salt bucket, save this for replacing evaporated water. then i put in a heater and power head (for mixing and airating) that is used just for mixing water, and add coralife salt-- let it mix overnight. in the morning before work, i check the salinity- adding salt as needed. i do the same thing on lunch, and then again when i get home from work. then i do my water cahnge that evening while watching drew carey :)
I have not had to add buffer as the coralife salt with RO water gives just the right PH. (i do add buffrer calc, etc to the tank, usually the next day after a water change.)
The most important thing in my opinion is to make sure that the temperature and salinity amtch when doing a water change. and of course- make SURE to turn up Drew Carey so its loud enough to hear over the noise your'e making :)

ophelia

I do a five gallon water change (for 29 gallon tank) every Sunday with water aged for approximately five minutes. The temp is measured with my right hand...the corals love it...just thought I'd get everyone all excited...

madd catt

Salt does have to mix properly even though it may look clear it does not mean the salt has been throughly mixed.The components of the salt should be allowed to age or desolve a least 24 hours {depends on salt mix}But there is a product in liquid that is a 1 gallon jug thats makes 10gal synthetic seawater by fritz company manufactures of fritz zime it may dissolve even faster.

broomer5

As most everyone already mentioned, once your mixed saltwater is at the same temp, salinity and pH of your display tank - you run far less chance of stressing out the living creatures in that tank upon doing the water change.
That's pretty much a fact - or at least just good old common sense.
Minimum time ?
Maximum time ?
Whatever works for each person is the "right" way for their tanks.
Personally - I like to let a batch of new saltwater run a day or two prior to adding to my tanks - but that includes a bit of built in "scheduled" procrastination.