Minimum tank size for Tangs

js1976

Got a question for some of you reefers. I've been planning a large predatory tank but I think Im gonna stick to my roots and build another reef. My last reef was a 90 and I was limited on some of the larger tang species.
What size would a Naso, orange shoulder, and possibly a yellow coexist for many years?

jmrents

I have 4 tangs in my 135 and I would love to get a few more, but I know
that I am already pushing it with the fish I have.
With that said, I would say no smaller than 135 for the 3 tangs you
mentioned, but to be safe if you could go bigger, I would.
I know I regret not getting the 240 now, but perhaps if I ever build out
another tank, I would definately go as big as I possibly could.
I would love to have the monster 500+ gallon tank or even bigger...lol
good luck

aquaknight

For many years, so we're talking heathly sized adults. The Naso IMO/IME will need an 8 foot tank, 240gal. The Orange Shoulder could live in a 6" 180gal for many years, and the yellow would be fine a 125gal.
Originally Posted by jmrents
http:///forum/post/3048307
I have 4 tangs in my 135 and I would love to get a few more, but I know
that I am already pushing it with the fish I have.
With that said, I would say no smaller than 135 for the 3 tangs you
mentioned, but to be safe if you could go bigger, I would.
I know I regret not getting the 240 now, but perhaps if I ever build out
another tank, I would definately go as big as I possibly could.
I would love to have the monster 500+ gallon tank or even bigger...lol
good luck
It's not really a number of tangs problem, it's just that some tangs simply grow too large for smaller tanks. You could probably keep a yellow, a kole, and a purple happy in a 125gal, but a 125gal would just be too small for a Naso long term.

js1976

Many years was reffering to large adults. I don't plan on adding anything that I have to either trade in or purchase a larger tank.
I didn't realize that Naso's got that large. How about sohols?

aquaknight

Yea, Naso IMO are one of the few fish that will grow pretty close to their adult size in an aquarium. Not saying other fish don't, I think that most fish wind up around 70% of true "max sizes" as where the Naso will wind up about 85% of their max size (18").
Sohals probably would need just as large of tank. They grow up to be quite aggressive fish, very unwelcome to newcomers. Sohals in the wild inhabit extremely rocky/turbulent areas and are very powerful swimmers. It is not uncommon for a Sohal to reach well over a foot in length. A 180gal would be the absolute minimum with careful tankmate selection.

deejeff442

yea tangs are a touchy subject around here.
i have 4 tangs in a 225 and my 8 inch achilles looks like he could use some more swimming room.
i just missed out on a 510 gallon by a couple hours last week.
snoose you lose.
tangs are just non stop swimmers if you get a few 3 inch tangs a 125 will be good for a couple years then a 180 then a 225 then a 300+
like having a kid .

dragonboy

Sohal's are notorious swimmers they need a long tank. Those tangs you listed get pretty huge I mean you need at least 200 its better to go bigger if you get tangs they just need lots of room to swim. Most tangs get large but I think yellow, powder blue and some other tangs will do fine in a 150.