Minimum time to leave QT tank fallow between fish?

gmann1139

How long should I leave my QT tank fallow between fish.
The current resident is moving out this weekend, and I'd like to get the next one right afterwards, if possible, so I don't have to worry about re-cycling.
I am planning to do a 50% WC in between, as nitrates have crept up, but other than that, am I good to go right away?

jpc763

I usually get the next fish within a week. My QT is empty now because my DT is full!
If the previous fish is healthy enough to put in the DT, I do not see a reason to leave the QT fallow.
J

sepulatian

The QT does not have to be left fallow, nor should you add a new fish right away so it doesn't cycle. The fish leaving the QT should be healthy. If you had a fish die from ich, or other parasites, then leave it fallow for at least a month. Don't rush on buying fish. You can keep the QT cycled by adding a pinch of fish food once a week.

gnorman

As long as there were no diseases in past fish or chemicals added to the qt, you should be fine after a week to make sure the water quality is where it should be.
I have also heard of people re-cycling the qt after the fish was transported to the DT, but I personally think that's a little drastic and it then leaves you without a QT in case of an emergency.
Also, if you are going to do a 50% wc, you will need to test the water to make sure it is good. If there is a water quality problem now, its best to take the time needed to make sure the QT is in the best possible condition; even if that means adding a few weeks before stocking.