Minnimum tank size for a full grown foxface?

jfingers088

Hi everyone i have a 90 gallon and i was planning on getting a foxface i know they can get pretty big. Is my tank big enough for it when it gets to be fully grown or no?

scsinet

If you have a conventional 90 gallon, that's only 4' wide, which will accomodate a juvi but certainly not a fully grown one. IMO, Foxface has similar requirements of most of the tangs.. 6' swimming space, 135g minimum, etc.

stanlalee

at max size I'd say a 125g or larger if its by itself or with one more fish or so. Beyond that 180g and up. LPS has a full grown one in a 180g and it was adequate but I wouldn't call it overly spacious either. a 90g is definately cramped for a full grown one.

stanlalee

because the average foxface sells at about 3" and unlike tangs they are hardy enough that they wont deteriorate in less than ideal conditions like a tang will. a 55-75g is fine for the size they are usually sold at but not for a 8-9" full size one.

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by thud
1/2 a gallon should be good for a full size foxface.

are you kidding half a gallon they get huge :scared:

N

nereef

Originally Posted by thud
Your foxface would be fine in just 1 ML of water.
actually a ML(megaliter, 10 to the sixth liters) would be fine. a mL (milliliter, 10 to the -3rd) wouldn't be fine.
the comment was funny the first time...maybe.

sign guy

Originally Posted by NEreef
actually a ML(megaliter, 10 to the sixth liters) would be fine. a mL (milliliter, 10 to the -3rd) wouldn't be fine.
the comment was funny the first time...maybe.
you gotta love smart people

psusocr1

anthropo your 90 is fine for the foxface. even though they look like tangs they are not as active as tangs and therefor do not require the long tanks. as long as you feed him veggies on a daily basis, you'll be ok.
with all do respect thats horrible advice to give. as i said my foxface is 7.5 inches and not lcose to being fuill grown, he swims all day long back and forth with my other tangs ,, and yes he uses all 8 feet of swimming length in my tank.
foxface shoul dbe treated as any other tang... 6 feet of swimming room, they are VERY active fish and also they eat and need alot more than veggies everyday to keep them fat and healthy
not trying to come down on you but im trying ot prevent a mistake

bang guy

Originally Posted by anthropo
even though they look like tangs they are not as active as tangs and therefor do not require the long tanks.
They may not need the longer tanks but I assure you, they are just as active as the typical tang.
I have seen older Foxface in 4 foot tanks, I have not seen older Tangs in 4 foot tanks. That says a lot.
But still I can't imagine either of my Rabbitfish in a 4' tank.

anthropo

Originally Posted by psusocr1
with all do respect thats horrible advice to give. as i said my foxface is 7.5 inches and not lcose to being fuill grown, he swims all day long back and forth with my other tangs ,, and yes he uses all 8 feet of swimming length in my tank.
foxface shoul dbe treated as any other tang... 6 feet of swimming room, they are VERY active fish and also they eat and need alot more than veggies everyday to keep them fat and healthy
not trying to come down on you but im trying ot prevent a mistake
that's great that your tank is that long of a tank and what fish wouldn't use the whole length of the tank, but i've never seen a published book say that they need anything larger than a 75. i understand that you have personal feelings about foxface, but until i see documentation in a published book i'm gonna have to go with a 75. from personal experience with these fish is that the ones i've seen in friends tanks that they've had would hide a lot and these are foxfaces that they had for a long time too. i'm not saying other rabbit fish should be put in that size tank cause there are some that get considerably larger but as far as foxfaces go i think in my opinion and many other books that i've read a 90 would be fine.

psusocr1

i respect your opinion i just agree to disagree,, if a foxface hides alot its because he is scared of either A. his tankmates, or B. he doesnt have enough room to roam
i wish you can see my foxface in my 300then you might understand.. i have a video int he agressive forum that you can check out. and youll see how large he is and how much he swims

30-xtra high

psusocr, you're arguement of " my foxface uses all 6 feet" doesn't work at all, go buy a b/g chrmois, or a damsel, and they'll use all 6 feet of the tank, that doesn't mean they need that much room.
and Anthropo, you can't really trust books...Mrine Fishes by Scott Micheals says you can have a 15 inch volitiotan in a 55 gallon, they're often inaccurate.
personally, i think it would be a toss up, i've seen foxfaces in 75's, but they were only about 6 inches, so i dunno., personally, i wouldn't recomend it...