Miracle Mud vs Competition????????/

D

dwf

i'm building a refugium. miracle mud is about 170.00 for 10 lbs. i can get a generic brand that claims to be as good for less than half. is the generic stuff as good????????????? :rolleyes: :D

WOW!! 170 DOLLARS FOR 10 POUNDS??? SHOP AROUND SOME , I'VE SEEN 10 POUNDS FOR ABOUT 65 BUCKS AROUND BY ME. BY THE WAY, I DON;T THINK THERE IS A GENERIC BRAND MUD. THAT STUFF IS PATENTED.

ky

Premium Aquatics (.com) has MM for $50.00 for 5lbs. I'm happy that L.O.T.R. agrees with me on this. There are many that don't think that MM is worth the money, but if you're going to invest all of that money in a reef tank, get the best stuff available.

D

dwf

Hey thanks for the input. The lfs guy said that the generic was the same bit i figured like you that the real stuff is probably better.

kimf

Exactly what is MM? Is it black mud?
I'm trying to put a refigum together. I have the tank, the light and ordered a detritivore Kit.
Wondering about puting sand or MM in this?
Also any suggestions on algea to include?

D

dwf

miracle mud is a patent pending base for refugiums that has had a lot of good press lately. I'm going to get it when I find the best price.

kimf

Do you put down MM and then put sand on top?
Sorry for so many questions, just trying to learn

ky

No sand, just 2-2.5 inches of miracle mud. ***************.com- $55.00 for 5 lbs

ironreef

IMo the mud isn't worth the $$ . A lfs did a chemical anaylasis of the mud you can find that at reeforg. It's just a landbased mud. others in the hobby had suggested the same. The website for the mud says it containts trace and other element to feed the caulerpa. But you still need to dose there additives. The caulerpa is what FILTERS the water no the mud. Its all marketing. I've seen alot of crappy tanks with the mud. But I've seen a few that look nice. Nothing beats good husbanty. But theres been many alga tanks before the mud that look good. So if you feel the need to spend $$ on the mud go for it but being the best is still debatable. The caulerpa is the filter not the mud.As for denitrofication any fine grade sand is good. It doesn't matter and theres many places to look for accurate info on the subject.When it comes to substrate most anything is good except large grains