misc supplies

michaeltx

you can add fish slowly after the cycle and the levels are right but you have to make your selections carefully so when y ou start to add corals you dont have fish that incompatible with the corals you start to add.
the main reason to wait about 3 months or longer (hard to do LOL) is to have the tank as stable as you can before adding the corals the are more sensitive to water changes than fish are to a degree. just dont over do the fish. I would add the clean up crew first after the cycle and then fish then corals and more corals then more corals. ;-Þ
Mike

fshhub

QT tank should be bare, nothing in it, except maybe some pvc for hiding and shelter. NO LR, NO LS, NOTHING OF THE SORT. This is one reason why a chep tank, with cheap lights and filter will suffice. Just water, cheap filter(whisper willeven work here) and fishies(when you get them)

cindyski

in a 125 i am not sure how many fish i can add with the corals. some had in mind were clowns, royal gamma, dottyback, wrasse, tangs.
how do those soud? will they mix well? i know some of them i can only have 1 of. was hoping for a pair of clowns.
QT stays empty, not even gravel at the bottom or a fake plant?
i am just wondering because of placement of the tank.
yes it will be impossible to wait 3 months. but at least i will have a clean-up crew to watch! so of those look pretty cool :) dont worry though, once my cycle is done and my clean-up crew is in a couple weeks, i will be right back here asking permission to add coral :D

offshore80

Think about maintenance issues... New 5 gal. gas cans for hauling RO water. A rubbermaid trash can to mix new saltwater and a pump to pump it with. Spare heater (a must) I've used mine once and it was worth the 20 bucks I paid for it. Eye dropers, flash light, tongs, surge protector. Back up power of some sort or a contingency... We had a storm the other night that blew a transformer down the street and we lost power for an hour and a half. I have two contingencys. 1st. Battery back up with 100 min of power. & 2nd. I have a generator. But you have to be home to use that it's not automatic like the Battery back up.
As far as the QT tank goes. Well it's like --- without a condom you make the call but you can get burnt. I did on a tang. He stressed and got ich. I'm loaded with stuff so the only thing I could do was and a UV sterilizer, cleaner shrimps and a cleaner wrasse. It worked well but, cost about 200 bucks. The tang is loving life now. Oh, I do have a QT tank now.

cindyski

i have been hearing alot about backup power latley, especially since the black out. how long is to long for the power to be out?
thanks;)