Missing In Action Tang!!!

shoorty069

Im upset now. I bought a 25$ yellow tang yesterday. He was about an inch and a half in size, maybe about as long as a golfball. I wake up this morning and hes gone. Completely gone. I searched through my liverock and everything and no where to be found. I think it may have been my pesky hermit crab, im contemplating on whether to bring him back because he is huge, as ive said in my other posts, hes almost the size of a baseball, maybe a half inch smaller. Either that or my snowflake eel could have done it, but hes quite tiny and can barely manage to fit a krill in its mouth (though he manages lol). Any ideas where he went? I checked the filter, and the skimmer, and the water pump, so its not in there. Are they just very good hiders?
<3ryry

joker_ca

did u check to see if he jumped out?? also hermits will eat anything i have heard that they will kill and eat sleeping fish if they are big enough, and u say your hermit is huge :thinking: i would find a new home for your hermit

shoorty069

Im going to do a perimeter search now. I looks quickly and didnt see any yellow fish on the ground, but it was dark this morning when i looked. Yea, i think its about time for this hermit to find a new home...i cant tell you how many times ive woken up to find he ate another fish. (this was when we had a wipeout and everything died of ich, im not cruelly putting fish in there for my hermit.)
<3ryry

shoorty069

Well, my hermit crab has had its last meal. It ate an ANEMONE!!! I didnt think it could do that and not get stung! We have no other choice but to bring it back to a lfs. Maybe theyll take it in. Theres an icecube in hells chance were getting more fish while hes still in there. Goodbye my enormous hermit crab, you sifted my rocks well.
<3ryry

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It is a good idea to find another home for a hermit....they have no redeeming qualities and can be rather problematic in most tanks. However, unless you see your tang somewhere on the floor, or unless he died overnight and then got eaten, I'll wager he is there.
Leave the tank alone and see if the tang shows up without you probing.

shoorty069

I honestly think my hermit ate it. yesterday i moved all the rocks and he was nowhere to be found. We got him on thursday, i searched the tank friday, and i even looked in there with a flashlight to see if he was in there friday night. I doubt very highly hes in there

<3ryry

carshark

shoorty what kind of filtration do you have? and have you checked behind powerheads on the top of the tank, or if you have hang on filtration/skimming check behind those. ive been fooled before

shoorty069

I haven an Emperor 400. I checked the filter, theres a cap at the bottom with little holes, so he wouldnt have fit in them. I checked my water pumps. Hes not im my skimmer. Hes not on the floor, i checked yesterday...that makes me mad...he was expensive too!
<3ryry

carshark

Originally Posted by Shoorty069
I haven an Emperor 400. I checked the filter, theres a cap at the bottom with little holes, so he wouldnt have fit in them. I checked my water pumps. Hes not im my skimmer. Hes not on the floor, i checked yesterday...that makes me mad...he was expensive too!
<3ryry
i have two emporers laying around, if anyone wants em I will sell em. anyway look behind you heater, and those emporers are deep, but I dont see how he could get in there though, i meant look behind the downspouts. where the water returns.....there is definitely enough space to hide him there.. and no way did a hermit crab devour this guy, you would have seen it...

shoorty069

It was about 10 at night when we stopped looking at the tank and turned the lights off. I I woke up at 7 the next morning. I think its possibly he could have eaten it. It was only a baby. Maybe an inch and a half long, if that. It looked very healthy when we got it and was swimming around eating. I checked the filter yesterday, its not in there, not around it, not near it...lol. I have a snowflake eel, but its way too small and it can barely get a krill in its mouth.
<3ryry

shoorty069

GAAAH! MY TANK IS FALLING APART! Now my starfish got a hold of my snail, bye bye snail. Now were bringing back the starfish AND the crab. Just as long as the snowflake doesnt get agressive, well keep him...
<3ryry