missing polyps.

daftboy

Hey I have just started putting some coral in my tank... i only have a 24w bulb over it right now (28gal) I have two corals right now ...the polyps i have have seem to be loose there color...the center of them used to be a bright green...seems they are just brown now. I am getting full ext. it seems but there are not as many polyps popping up anymore... do you think this could be due to light ?
1. Tank size. 28 Gallons
2. What type of tank and how long has it been running? 9 months
3. Water parameters. Water temp 77.8 F 1.022 Salinity
4. Set up. Fiji live rock,38 lbs, Live Sand,Canister:Fluval Multi-Stage 05 series 205,180GPH,T-8 over head single fluorescent 24w Coralife 20k FL20,150 watt heater
5. Livestock. 2 Osc. Clownfish/1 Royal Gramma/1 Purple Firefish

nycbob

its a gsp coral. gsp corals r weird in that it would open for a few days and close a few days. gsp r tough, so really no big deal. try to keep ur sg up more to 1.025. its not the light, since powercompact is sufficient for gsp.

bill109

i run mine at 1.026. they love actinics as well from what i have seen from mine.
i have 5 actinic bulbs and 3 white daylight bulbs. i have had it for about 2 years.
this is them under actinics.

what kind of light is it? could you be specific? what kind of blubs, K i assume they are pc's?
again, like mentioned above, try and set it up to get some actinic lighting.

daftboy

I only have 1 t8 bulb... its 20watts.... its made by coralife and is 20k.. I also have blue leds in the fixture for night time viewing.

bill109

Originally Posted by Daftboy
http:///forum/post/3179454
I only have 1 t8 bulb... its 20watts.... its made by coralife and is 20k.. I also have blue leds in the fixture for night time viewing.

ever thought of a lighting upgrade.?

daftboy

lol yea i have... im trying to figure out what I should get ? ideas? i was thinking a compact florescent system.. i think i would need about 90w

bill109

i dont habve much exp. with current. i have one dual satelite over my 3 gal. but other than that i love t-5's. google TEK lighting. for a 28 you could get a sick fixture for that.
you cant skimp out on lighting. in a reef, its one of the most important things.

spanko

If you are going to spend $250, why not look into the Viper HQI Clamp Lamp at around @220.00. 150 watts of metal halide. You could keep anything you want in the 28 gallon with that.

daftboy

don't really want a MH...to much heat plus electric bill will shoot up...its already about 500 a month for electric

daftboy

how do you feel about Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Linear Strip PowerCompact ... a certain store has one on sale today... at a very good price

bill109

Originally Posted by Daftboy
http:///forum/post/3180559
how do you feel about Coralife Aqualight Deluxe Linear Strip PowerCompact ... a certain store has one on sale today... at a very good price
pc's work, but the only thing is that you will be limited to wut you can keep.