Mistake of having kid help

kingzfan

So...I made the mistake of not reminding my daughter to COMPLETELY wash the reef sand before putting into the tank.
It's about 50lbs of reef sand and she didn't even wash before dumping into the tank. OMJESUS what a big cloud of doom.
I talked to the LFS and he said I should use the white filter fiber in the sump. Well, I put this in and I have stirred the sand about 5 times already and it's still really cloudy.
Has this happened to anyone?
how long and how many times did you stir the sand before the MAJOR cloud storms went away

howardj

Wow! When I read the title, at first I thought it said 'Mistake of having a kid, help' which it does, just thought of it in a different way.. a comma makes the story totally different.
What's the deal with the tank? Are you just beginning to cycle it?
if so, just turn all water movement off, the cloud will eventually settle down, if not, it will remain everywhere.

saltymarine

The same thing happened to me. It will all settle and clear in a day or two. I would definitely not lose any sleep over it.

scsinet

I've been here before. The cloud shouldn't hurt the fish. You'll need to use a turkey baster to blow debris off your rock, corals, etc when it settles, but that's about it.
I've had this happen with both saltwater and freshwater. The worst was once when I added a bunch of fluorite to my planted tank. The water was so black that I couldn't seen plants that were 4" from the front glass. Didn't lose a single fish.
I've added aragonite to running saltwater systems on numerous occasions and did not cause any issues. There is no way to rinse aragonite completely clean anyway.

robertmathern

LOL if thats the worst you see consider yourself lucky. Theres alot worse that could happen. I.E batteries in you sump. Or your little one can think your sump is a wishing well and throw pennies in it. Havent had it happen to me yet hence the word yet. But if thats it your good to go