Mixing Hawk Fish

sydneywood

I'm trying to sell my house right now and get in a much larger home (to accomodate a new child, a grown iguana, a parrot, and a 150 gallon for my fish that are in a 75 right now. I have a pixie hawk I think, I know there are two types that look so much alike, I have one kind in my community tank and husband has one in his aggressive.
A few years ago I had a flame hawk (named RedMan) for years that was the best fish anyone could ever have. When I lost him it was like loosing a cat or dog, even one of my friends cried. I'm wondering in a 150 how these two hawks would do together. My hawk is not aggressive at all. Anyone know for sure? The first pic is my husband's and the second is mine.

E

emeralcrab

Not going to be of any help, but I am going to put a falco hawk in with my flame hawk. They will be in a 210, with lots of live rock. The flame is in there now, falco is in QT. I think they will chase each other for a while, but I think they will settle in. Hopefully anyway. Good luck.

srfisher17

Hawks of different species are usually ok. ( there's no such thing as "for sure", IMO) Unless they are a mated pair, two of the same species will usually fight.

stanlalee

its a big enough tank to give it a go. Like stated there is no garauntee but there's a good chance they'll be okay in the same tank that size. a descrency in size helps too (so you dont have two continually trying to show who's boss).

sydneywood

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2693304
its a big enough tank to give it a go. Like stated there is no garauntee but there's a good chance they'll be okay in the same tank that size. a descrency in size helps too (so you dont have two continually trying to show who's boss).

That's where I will have an issue, I've had pixie for years so she/he is full grown and any hawks I've seen for sale have been all about the same size which is about the same as the one I have now, they do have a slight difference in shape though, the flame is rounder in the body so that could help.

sepulatian

There is no easy answer here. Hawks are all different in personality. I have had my Falco for a year and a half. He has an attitude problem. I bought a new serpent star about a month ago. The star hangs out in the caves. He dared to stretch his legs up through the back of the cave. Sir Quizzy (my hawk) started picking at his legs. Other hawks, even of the same breed, are more peaceful. My fella is a bratt. 1journeyman has a Falco and a spotted in a 180. Two can be kept. In your 150, you will have to try it. Be ready to chase after one of them if it doesn't work out. Watch them VERY closely.