Mixing saltwater

amandadee

I've had my tank running for over a year and still feel like a newb. Here's my question: I've heard people say they mix up their water a day before they do a water change. What's the consensus on this? Do you leave it covered or uncovered overnight? What's the advantage of letting it sit? Thanks for any info.

pbienkiewi

the advantage is that it lets the salts disolve. Personally; I fill up a 5 gallon jug with saltwater a day or 2 before I do a water change. (Here is were I may get some words) I don't airaite it or heat it. I do shave the jug several times a day as I pass bye. I have had no problems with my method.
Covered or uncovered really doesn't matter IMO

thangbom

a lot of people do that but i usually dont.. i only let it site for about 8 hrs or soo... had my tank for over 3 years and no problems..
i just fillmy 2 20 gal cans up then drop in my powerhead.. then dump in salt..

amandadee

So...it has nothing to do with letting chemicals evaporate out or anything like that. Do most people aereate and heat their water ahead of time?

murph

I have done water changes with newly mixed batches around 8 hours. Usually let it mix with power head for at least 24 though. Depending on the size of the water change IMO the more important factor is to have the PH, Temp and SG stabilized and the same as your tank.
It may sound like a bit of expense but having a separate tank say 30 gallon and a small power head makes things easier. Its always a good idea to have some change water mixed and ready to go in case of emergency any way in which case it could be sitting in the container with the power head running for days. I usually just mircorwave some of my change water in a tuperware container and re add to the change water container if I need to bring temp up to that of the tank.

three boys

Hummm :thinking: Shame on me then. I mix my water immediately before it is added to the tank. Put the salt in a bucket & then add the RO/DI water. I stir it real well. Maybe I've just been lucky & had no problems???

jonny bolt

I think properly allowing the salt to dissolve has a lot to do with things like letting it reach proper pH, proper ionic balance, temp., etc. I have a friend who never lets his newly mixed water sit with aeration or anything, he just mixes and adds it, and he has never had a problem and has some of the healthiest water I have ever seen. Myself however, started by mixing mine and allowing it to aerate and heat over night, so I see no reason to stop doing it my way. I have a big rectangular rubbermaid type storage bin that I use, I can fit 15 gallons in it comfortably, and I throw in a few air stones and my spare heater and allow my water to sit overnight before doing a water change.