Mixing Tangs

hanzo26

I am upgrading to a 210 gal tank here soon and curious about having multiple tangs. Can you combine hippo tangs and powder blues together without having problems? A couple people have told me that you shouldn't mix tangs, but with a large enough tank I wouldn't see it as a problem. Then again, I have seen several setups with different tang combinations. Just want more input...

redman1221

Originally Posted by Hanzo26
http:///forum/post/2591167
I am upgrading to a 210 gal tank here soon and curious about having multiple tangs. Can you combine hippo tangs and powder blues together without having problems? A couple people have told me that you shouldn't mix tangs, but with a large enough tank I wouldn't see it as a problem. Then again, I have seen several setups with different tang combinations. Just want more input...
Yes you can just make sure you qt them first because they are known to get ick real bad.

hanzo26

Yeah, I have had my hippo tang for over a year now in my 55 gal and got ick soon after i got him, but treated him and is doing great. He just needs a bigger tank now and I wanted to get some other tangs.

florida joe

http:///forum/post/2591267
Yeah, I have had my hippo tang for over a year now in my 55 gal and got ick soon after i got him, but treated him and is doing great. He just needs a bigger tank now and I wanted to get some other tangs.
Can you help me please understanding this whole ick think, how do you think your tang got ick soon after you got him? Do you mean he had it and you purchased him or you had ick in your tank and you exposed him to it?

mcbdz

http:///forum/post/2591167
You can mix tangs just don't mix the same family. They shouldn't look alike or they will fight. Make a list before you buy and post so anyone with that combo or any opinion can give you feed back on them. The regal and powder blue are different families just not sure about the colors, Maybe someone can chime in that has tried them together.

saltymac

I would say yes. I have 4 tangs in my 125. They get along well. I would add them at the same time. (something I didnt do) For the tank size you say, I dont see any problems. Someone once told me that if you have a 6' tank with a good aquascape that still has swimming room you can keep most any tang. I have a yellow,sailfin,kole, and gold rim. Those werent your choices, but thats my .02 . Good luck.

conejo

You Could Mix Any Tang Unless They Are From The Same Family Or Look Alike In Color And After You Add Each One Be Sure To Be Able To Be There So That You Can Watch How He Does For The First 3-5 Hours. If He Is Being Picked Or Tail-groomed. I Have A Blue Hippo And A Powder Blue And They Ignore Themselves As Much As They ignore me when they See Me Without The Feeding Cup!
THE MAIN THING YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT IS TO BE SURE YOU ARE PUTTING THEM IN COPPER BEFORE YOU PUT THEM IN YOUR MAIN TANK CAUSE THEY ARE REAL ICKMAGNETS. IF YOU DONT HAVE COPPER OR Q.T. I RECOMEND NOT GETTING ONE UNTIL YOU DO.

N

nereef

all tangs are in the same family...the tang family, Acanthruidae. two tangs from the same genus, such as a yellow and a desjardin, can still be done in a tank that size. a hippo and a powder blue will probably be fine together in a 210. there are some tangs to avoid in your situation, however. are you looking at any others?

hanzo26

Well, I have just been looking at adding a power blue with a hippo for now, but maybe eventually a naso tang, I'm not quite sure yet.

greenreefer

Don't want to completely steal this thread, but I have a similar question. I'm upgrading to a 125, thought I was going to go to a 75, but wanted to do a couple of tangs, so I changed my mind. Can I put a Chevron, Purple, Hippo, and a Powder Blue together in a 125?

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/2593334
Well, I have just been looking at adding a power blue with a hippo for now, but maybe eventually a naso tang, I'm not quite sure yet.
These 3 should be fine. But, like so many other fishy areas, there just isn't a -one -size- fits all answer--much can depend on the individual fish.
Also, Fla. Joe brought up the ich issue, it seems to always come up with tangs. I'll guess where Joe's going (and he has a habit of being right). If your DT is ich free and you properly use a QT, ich is impossible. It has a finite life cycle and just doesn't "appear"; contrary to the popular urban legend.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by liljay0418
http:///forum/post/2599802
How about a yellow tang and powder blue?
In a 65gal.
IMO, a 65 gal is too small (mainly because of the 4' length) for either of these tangs, much less two. yellows are very hardy fish, but a powder blue isn't so easy and needs a lot more room.

Originally Posted by NEreef
http:///forum/post/2591755
all tangs are in the same family...the tang family, Acanthruidae. two tangs from the same genus, such as a yellow and a desjardin, can still be done in a tank that size. a hippo and a powder blue will probably be fine together in a 210. there are some tangs to avoid in your situation, however. are you looking at any others?
as i was reading this thread i was wondering how many people would have to say family before someone corrected them (you beat me to it). but for the 65 question, no. tangs really need 6 feet, escpecially powder blues. and the 210 will be fine

aquaknight

A wise friend of mine, with a sweet, quasi-new big tank, (you know who you are
) said that tangs of the Acanthurus
genus should be added last.
I would agree and add the Powder Blue after the Regal goes in. (After a thorough, 6 week QT as well).

hammerhed7

in my experience it is the body shape that causes problems, for example sailfin, yellow, and purple would likely fight, same with naso hippo etc, if you were to mix a hippo and a yellow you should be fine, purples tend to be more aggressive than yellows, you can also mix same body shapes in groups of 3 or more with a reduced chance of aggression, but nothing is set in stone, you just have to QT, try, and keep a close eye for problems.

myerst22

I have 2 tangs in my tank and have no problem. I followed the general rule. Different genuses, size, color and size. I probably should of added the PBT last but I added him first. He was a bit aggressive to the new comer, but the new tang who is much bigger put him in his place in no time. Here's a few pics. Regards, Tim