Mixing Water

eden

I continue my attempts at wading through wildly conflicting and confusing advise. One of todays wangers was regarding the curing of my water.
In the beginning I mixed, warmed, etc. and added water to my tank 20% changes every 2 weeks. Then I was told 'heaven forbid' you add freshly mixed water - it was a sin of monumental porportions.
So, I went out an bought a big trash can, heater, air stone, a water heater blanket to wrap it all in as it is outside and mixed the water in order to let it stand a week or so and cure.
Today I was told that there was not only no reason to mix ahead of time, but I was probably doing more damage then good as the air stone (bubbles) can not oxygenate saltwater so I was adding water with no oxygen. He also said I was ruining the water in some other wayas well by pre-mixing, but I can't remember now.
Anyway.... what does everyone here do regarding pre-mixing, or not, water??
Thanks!

goldrush

I keep about 10 gal RO/DI water in a Rubbermaid tub with a powerhead for top-offs(gal/day). I make up my water change water a few days prior to change and let sit,covered,with a powerhead going.

birdy

I also have a trash can with a powerhead and a heater in it that i mix up about a weeks worth of salt water at a time.

S

sebae0

i also keep my ro/di water in 30 gal rubbermaids and mix it up a couple of days early to allow it to equalize and get the sg and temp in line. an air stone does not actually put o2 into the water but the updraft it creates breaks the surface tension and allows o2 to diffuse into the water quicker than if it was stagnant.

timo

I've notice that when I mix water and salt, that it takes some time for the salinity to stabilize. Premixing allows me to get that where I want it without worrying "have I got it right?"
Saltwater can be aerated with a bubble stone.

justinx

Here is what I do, after finally coming up with my own plan. I too was confounded with many conflicting opinions, so i just came up with my own. (well, sort of.)
I do water changes of 5% on a weekly basis. (about 1 gallon)
I pre-mix RO/DI water with salt in a six gallon bucket, bring it up to temp, and push it around with a powerhead. (i used to use an airstone, but this can cause calcium to precipitate out of the water, also, the salt creep was horrible so i just bought a cheapo PH)
Once it is up to temp, I check all the levels of the water (pH, alk, calc, salinity) I then make any adjustments as needed using buffers, etc.
After that, I take out the heaters, PH, and I have enough water to last me at least a month. I keep it sealed in a bucket (its actually a bulk instant ocean bucket) until its used up.
This method has actually rid my tank of cyanobacteria (red slime) and my coral growth has doubled. My levels are stable as can be.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

poiboy

35g bin mixed one week ahead. Powerhead with the airline and a ebo heater (no problems) Instant ocean salt

eden

WOW! Thanks so much. That was SO helpful!! Seems like I should keep the mix tank, maybe replace the airstone with a PH.
I do have one last question.... is there any reason to discard unused water after a week? Can it go bad??

poiboy

Really don't think it can go bad, unless you have something living in there or do not have a cover on it. I may be wrong but I used water up to 1 month old with no bad effects to corals or fish. L8TR

goldrush

Justin, Why do you take the heater and powerhead OUT ? If you use the water for a month or so, wouldn't you want it aerated and up to temperature? Just curious.