Mixing wrasses

stig

I already have a wrasse, not entirely sure what kind though. It's about the size of a yellow but is orange with red stripes down its body. Is it possible to also add a 6-line in a 46G tank or would they fight?

jumpfrog

Mixing wrasses can be problematic. If there is enough room and you add them at about the same size and time they may be ok. I've seen a tank with 3 large wrasses in a 240 but they were added at the same time.
Can you post a pic of the one that you have in the 46? If it's from the coris family it will probably outgrown the 46. They need room to swim. Also need to know if it's a substrate or cave sleeper. What kind of substrate do you have?

stig

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I don't have a digital camera so a picture will be difficult - I'll try and take one on my phone and see if it's decent enough to make it out.
To answer your questions....he's a cave sleeper, the substrate is sand but I've never seen him burrow in it. He's been in the tank for about 6 months and doesn't seem to have grown much. As I said, looks exactly like a yellow except for the colour.

jumpfrog

If he's sleeping in the rock work he's probably not a member of the coris group and will probably stay comparatively small. Having said that, a 6 line is in the same category of wrasse.
I wouldn't mix the two as they will battle over space.
Perhaps another active fish would work well. Royal Gramma, firefish or even a pygmy angel if your tank has been up for 6 months or more.
Good Luck!

stig

Thanks for the advice. My instinct told me that it probably wasn't a good idea. I won't be getting one. I'll maybe add something else instead.
Thanks.