MLB to Fans: Your irrelevant

oceanists

MLB to fans: You're irrelevant
By Tim Keown
Page 2
There aren't many worse ways for a business to treat its customers than to restrict access to its product. This seems like basic economics, and basic marketing, and basic public relations, but it's not basic when it comes to Major League Baseball. When it comes to the custodians of that kind of product, the customer is not always right.
In fact, the customer -- the customer lining up with money in his hand, mind you -- is irrelevant.
And when it comes to MLB's apparently inevitable decision to sign an exclusive deal with DirecTV to carry its Extra Innings package -- and thereby deny access to the product to 70 million current and potential customers -- calling the paying customer "irrelevant" is the nicest possible phrasing.
For $700 million over seven years, MLB is willing to give DirecTV exclusivity. This will take the games off a basic cable package and force fans who want to continue watching nearly every game every night to purchase DirecTV. It's an incredibly horrendous business decision.
I confess to taking this personally. I bought the package for the first time last year from my friendly local cable operator and immediately lost interest in the rest of my life. That's only a minor exaggeration; having the ability to surf through to find the best game every night, not tied to the fortunes of the local teams -- I mean, what else is there? Sitting there on a warm summer night, watching the last out of a game in San Diego and then quickly switching to Los Angeles to catch the final six or seven outs of the Dodgers game -- I'm not sure I can go on without it.
(Oh, and it had the added bonus, boss, of allowing me to do practical research on players I needed to profile for The Magazine.)
But that's over. Tough luck for me and a lot of others, including a lot of elderly people who love baseball, can't get to games and might not have the benefit of a south-facing roof.
As many others, most eloquently King Kaufman on Salon.com and Sen. John Kerry, have pointed out, what does MLB care? The bean-arrangers in the business office don't give a damn that I sit there with my four baseball-mad sons and talk about everyone from Tampa Bay to Seattle. They don't give a damn about the old guy in the retirement home who makes his way through the day with a ballgame as his companion.
For 700 million scoots over seven years, why would they care about such minutiae?
They don't care because they employ a simple law, the one that says if you got 'em by the gray hairs, you'll have 'em forever. What am I going to do, hate baseball? Stop watching the games I do get to protest those I don't?
That won't happen, and they know that.
So there.

oceanists

Im so irritated right now its not even funny. Im starting to hate the MLB and I want to murder Bud Selig
ESPN is right for once.

watson3

They have been doing this for years with other sports though, Baseball is just the last to fall...

oceanists

Originally Posted by ruaround
if they do this i predict a major boycot!!! that is just ridiculous!!!

yup... if it goes through I am going to start a website, discouraging people away from DTV and MLB.. start watching the minors and college ball , thats where the real passion is anyway
my money will not goto the mlb I will just get Satelite radio where it doesnt cost anything to listen to ANY game

johnny84

I have Directv, I hate my local cable company. So I am glad the NFL and MLB have given Directv exclusivity. The Local cable company does the same thing with the local teams, I can not watch local sports teams on Directv because my local cable company will not sell Directv the rights to the games. So the cable company's get what they deserve. They are over priced and would love to have a monopoly.

tx reef

Originally Posted by Johnny84
I have Directv, I hate my local cable company. So I am glad the NFL and MLB have given Directv exclusivity. The Local cable company does the same thing with the local teams, I can not watch local sports teams on Directv because my local cable company will not sell Directv the rights to the games. So the cable company's get what they deserve. They are over priced and would love to have a monopoly.

The NFL didn't give them exclusivity.....just MLB.

oceanists

Its not about the cable company ort Direct TV, your missing the point entirely
Its about the fans and it is unfair.
I love nothing more than to come home from work kick my feet up and watch my fravorite team 3000 miles away and they are taking that away.
What about fans that do not have access to Direct TV or can not afford the 500 dollar set up charge?
Do they stop watching baseball?
This is a bad move and a slap in the face to fans that have paid good money to baseball and supported them even when times were bad ....
Stop being selfish...

ice4ice

I totally agree on this one ! MLB players just don't give a **** anymore as long as they got their big fat contract, they could care less.
What's gonna happen once all the old-timers die off that DO CARE about the fans ? The current stars certainly won't. Oh yeah - you also gotta blame Steinbrenner too ! I hate that SOB !!! But I was glad his Yanks choked in the playoffs ! Serves him right !

johnny84

Originally Posted by Oceanists
Its not about the cable company ort Direct TV, your missing the point entirely
Its about the fans and it is unfair.
I love nothing more than to come home from work kick my feet up and watch my fravorite team 3000 miles away and they are taking that away.
What about fans that do not have access to Direct TV or can not afford the 500 dollar set up charge?
Do they stop watching baseball?
This is a bad move and a slap in the face to fans that have paid good money to baseball and supported them even when times were bad ....
Stop being selfish...
I agree with your point about baseball, they dont care about the fans, this is a known fact, I just wanted to give my 2 cents about Directv and the cable company's
There is no $500.00 set-up charge, that is a thing of the past.

oceanists

I agree with your point about baseball, they dont care about the fans, this is a known fact, I just wanted to give my 2 cents about Directv and the cable company's

Oh believe me I agree , I hate cable just as much as the next , but its my only option so I for one , and many others are screwed out of the baseball season .... I could by mlb.tv but who want to bend over the computer right after the get home from work and staring at a computer all day , not to mention there is no way to record so if you cant watch it live your screwed again , I gues Im going to have to hit the local bar when ever i can or purchase XM radio and listen to the games

sign guy

this is just another way MLB continues to pull further from it roots. they are tring to make a buck but dont understand that a salery cap would pull 10 times more revanue via a larger fan base. Im not gonna start a "cap" fight but just a point of how they dont care about us fans anymore

tangman99

I used to like baseball, but I quit watching baseball after the strike in 1994. To be honest, I have not missed it at all.

kmc

Yeah, what TangMan said. In fact I don't watch pro football or basketball either. Bunch of overpaid over hyped trash talking thugs if you ask me. Who needs 'em. I used to really enjoy college basketball and football. It's getting just about as bad. The only thing left is NASCAR and the NHL. What kind of combination is that?

bayside

on a slightly different topic away from direct tv but still pertaining to fans. one thing i can not stand is watching espn to see highlights from the previous nites games. what do i get but around 30 to 40 min out of a hour show about the yanks, mets, or red sox and a 20 sec 3 play clip from my beloved twinkies.
the east coast bias on espn during baseball season is absoluty rediculous and needs to be looked at, many of the better teams are not only in boston and new york. Look at the world series, Detriot and STL, not nearly enough hype and talk from media outlets, therefored it was played off as no one cared. but if it was an east coast team it would have been totally different.
this is very unfair to true baseball fans

oceanists

Originally Posted by bayside
on a slightly different topic away from direct tv but still pertaining to fans. one thing i can not stand is watching espn to see highlights from the previous nites games. what do i get but around 30 to 40 min out of a hour show about the yanks, mets, or red sox and a 20 sec 3 play clip from my beloved twinkies.
the east coast bias on espn during baseball season is absoluty rediculous and needs to be looked at, many of the better teams are not only in boston and new york. Look at the world series, Detriot and STL, not nearly enough hype and talk from media outlets, therefored it was played off as no one cared. but if it was an east coast team it would have been totally different.
this is very unfair to true baseball fans

I agree partialy ... being a lifetime Red Sox fan I cant see enough of them .... But I hate hearing about Arod and Jeter on ESPN every 5 minutes.

scubadoo

You are correct,... DirecTV will pretty much set your system up for free. ALso, when you consider you get ALL baseball games with the extra innings package it is a bargain. I enjoy the nfl suday ticket which allows me to watch ALL the games for under 200 bucks a season.
Network TV will still carry baseball games and the playoffs.
If someone is going to make a point...they should do their homework regarding setup fees being $500 for Direc TV. That is simply a GROSS misrepresentation of fact.

oceanists

About DIRECTV | Investor Relations | DIRECTV For Business | MDU
Welcome BEN Sign Out
DIRECTV - Checkout
Entire Site Site Pages FAQs Program Guides
Buy Now Current Offer Discover DIRECTV Package Choices The DIRECTV Difference Compare DIRECTV Guide to HD Your Installation Broadband Internet E-Mail Signup Find a Retailer Fundraising Programs International Programming Packages & Programming Base Packages Channel Lineup Change Programming Buy Pay Per View Browse Pay Per View Movies Premium Channels HD Channels Local Channels Sports Channels Music Channels International Programming Championship Gaming Series DIRECTV on the Go Equipment & Services DIRECTV Plus DVR DIRECTV HD Receiver DIRECTV Plus HD DVR DIRECTV Standard Receiver Get DIRECTV Now Internet Access ACCESS DIRECTV Magazine DIRECTV Protection Plan Customer Service Contact Us FAQs Explaining Your Installation How To Use directv.com Demos & How-To System Manuals Troubleshooting Technical Help Forums Moving? Avoiding E-mail Fraud Fundraising Programs Entertainment Central What's On TV? TV Recommendations & News The Scorsese Selection Sports Schedules Video Lounge CD USA Project MyWorld ACCESS DIRECTV Magazine My Account Register Latest News NEW! Quick Links
Contact Us
Get Email Updates
Customer Login
Parental Controls
DIRECTV4Schools
Find Local Channels
Order Now 1-888-777-2454
Checkout: Payment
Back to Build Your System
Your Info Installation Address Payment Confirm Order Installation Date Summary
Payment Options
Enter your credit card number to cover startup costs so we can get you signed up for service without delay.
DIRECTV Transaction amount: $465.91

I want to pay using my:
Fields marked with * are mandatory.
* Credit Card Type: Visa
MasterCard
American Express
Discover
Optima
* Credit Card Number:
* Expiration Date:
Month 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 Year 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 * Security Number:
What is this?
Save this credit card information in my profile.
I would like to use this credit card to pay my monthly DIRECTV® bill automatically.
Billing Address
(as it appears on your credit card statement)
Same as Installation Address
New Address (fill in below)
* First Name:
* Last Name:
( First and Last name of the primary account holder )
* Address Line One:
Apt:
Address Line Two:
* City:
* State:
AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE DC FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NV NH NJ NM NY NC ND OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY* ZIP:
* Phone:
-- DIRECTV Terms & Conditions
By placing this order you agree to the following terms and conditions:
• Offer for new residential customers only.
• If you cancel your order prior to installation, we will issue a full refund.
• Within 30 days of provision of DIRECTV equipment to you, or on the date that the professional installer has installed or is prepared to install your DIRECTV equipment, whichever is sooner, you agree to activate each and every DIRECTV Receiver ordered by you or provided to you with any DIRECTV base programming package (valued at $29.99 per mo. or above).
br />• YOU WILL ACTIVATE ALL OF THE DIRECTV SYSTEM EQUIPMENT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE EQUIPMENT LEASE ADDENDUM OR YOU MAY BE CHARGED A FEE OF UP TO $150 PER RECEIVER NOT ACTIVATED.
• You must activate and maintain DVR service for 12 consecutive months ($5.99/mo.) if you purchased a DVR or HD DVR. In certain markets, programming and pricing may vary. DIRECTV® PROGRAMMING AND PRICING SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME.
• You accept the $4.99/mo. lease fee for the second and each additional receiver.
• Your receiver must be continuously connected to a land-based phone line to activate your receivers and to allow pay per view ordering by remote control.
• If you fail to maintain your programming commitment, you agree that DIRECTV® may charge you a prorated fee of up to $150 for standard equipment or $300 for advanced receivers within 7 days of downgrading or disconnecting your programming.
• Leased equipment must be returned upon disconnect. If you do not return equipment, DIRECTV® may charge a fee of up to $55 per standard, $200 per DVR, $240 per HD and/or $470 per HD DVR.

oceanists

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
You are correct,... DirecTV will pretty much set your system up for free. ALso, when you consider you get ALL baseball games with the extra innings package it is a bargain. I enjoy the nfl suday ticket which allows me to watch ALL the games for under 200 bucks a season.
Network TV will still carry baseball games and the playoffs.
If someone is going to make a point...they should do their homework regarding setup fees being $500 for Direc TV. That is simply a GROSS misrepresentation of fact.

An that is with Basic Everything ....
Second I dont really appreciate people insuating that I am a liar.
But I would expect that from you of all people. A Reggie Bush apologist.
And you miss the point entirely ... what about people who cant get Direct TV because of the area they live in ????
But I wouldnt expect you to care all you care about is dirtying your finger tips with Cheetos while stuffing you filthy stomach.
I wish people would do THEIR homework before making such GROSS statementsd <^>_
_<^>

tx reef

I have cable and hate that the NFL made it where I can't get NFL Network....I really don't care about baseball until playoff time.