modding a maxi jet mod

fatboyjoe

I have a couple of maxi jet 1200 mods on order for my 90gal. reef.I've read some posts that say the flow from their mods were too strong and kicked up a sand storm, so they went back to reg. powerheads. there's got to be a way to throttle the flow back some. my idea is to cover some of the intake on the shroud a little at a time until I get the flow just right. maybe use some sylicone to block the holes. my question is: is restricting the water intake going to put a strain on my motor and burn it up? I got this idea when I noticed that when algea built up on my maxi jet intake, the flow would drop down. anybody think this would work? Or have any other ideas for controlling the flow on the maxi-mods. thanks

I wouldn't see a problem with restricting flow by using silicone or another way to restrict flow. Don't clean them is another option.

elitsoh

as a plumber if you restrict intake .its less water moved but restict output it s a bigger blast of h2o same amount moved
like a finger over a hose...if you slow flow comming in it might over heat ...that amount might be needed for cooling

detroit

I did the mod conversion on my maxijet 1200s. I got a sandstorm when aiming them at the glass. Once I repositioned them (low, aiming up about 10 degrees up from parallel with the floor, pointing along the glass) they worked great.
I have 2 in a 55 gallon tank. The flow is awesome now! No more dead spots.

trippkid

I run 3 of them in my 120(4' long), they are just positioned to move the water the length of the tank, not pointed at the front glass, none of mine are too close to the bottom either, you sort of have to use some common sense here. If you really need to slow the flow, a different(smaller) impeller would work, you'd have to mod your mod. I think you'll be fine just how they are, just make them run the lenght of the tank and run at least one of them near the surface, about 2-3" down, you will get very good surface agitation this way. Good luck

Matt