Moderators..Please give me your wisdom..I am litterally going to tear this tank apart

funkyman

crzyfshygy, what's your email? There's a thread I want to send you that I think you might find helpful. I set my upgraded tank up this way right from the start, and there are zero bubbles, and it's totally quiet.

abethedog

One thing for you to check is that gate valve.
Sorry it took me so long but pressure side means after the pump. Water is drawn into the pump and pushed out. Gate valves can leak sometimes through the shaft.
Not that I want to add confusion but is it possible that your pump is cavitating. Sometimes when the impeller cannot push as much water as it is powed to do water will be vaporized right at the impeller. This gas (air) is pushed through. But, you would typically have a runaway heat problem. just some ideas. good luck. Plumbing can be frustrating.
I discovered a leaking bulkhead after I moved my tank. I just moved my sump over. Now it leaks into my sump and I have a beautiful saltcreep statue forming that I'll sell on ----.

farmboy

Which one is the return? If the one on the right is the return, then you may try removing anything from the suction (input) side of the pump. This can cause bubbles. (At least it did in my system. I have a smaller pump than that.)

farmboy

Something else you might try is closing the ball valve a little at a time to see if it minimizes the bubbles.
I have a "T" and send some of the return water back into my sump to limit the water going back to the display. I found that the volume of water I was moving inside our sump would actually pull the bubbles from the return "splash" over the baffles and right into the return of the pump!! :scared:

crzyfshygy

Originally Posted by Farmboy
Which one is the return? If the one on the right is the return, then you may try removing anything from the suction (input) side of the pump. This can cause bubbles. (At least it did in my system. I have a smaller pump than that.)
Yea..the one on the right is the return pump. So you think the Chaetomorpha that is attatched to the pump might be causing it???? Or the million x's I wrapped the pump in pad?

crzyfshygy

Originally Posted by Farmboy
Something else you might try is closing the ball valve a little at a time to see if it minimizes the bubbles.
I have a "T" and send some of the return water back into my sump to limit the water going back to the display. I found that the volume of water I was moving inside our sump would actually pull the bubbles from the return "splash" over the baffles and right into the return of the pump!! :scared:
I'm sorry could you repeat that....I am not sure what you meant???? Thanks

acrylic51

By looking at your sump pics if you are introducing bubbles from the drain from the tank they have no time to disipitate, because the return pump is right there.....If your having problems with microbubbles, check all the fittings you have.....Just because your not leaking water doesn't mean it can't suck air......A good way to check your fittings or connections would be to use vaseoline or silicone around all your plumbing fittings and this should narrow down any possible leakage of air.....

crzyfshygy

So should I use teflon tape in between the fittings and then use the all glass silacone around each end of the fittings???

acrylic51

Teflon tape isn't all that good....You should use the paste teflon sealant.....The silicone is just to try to pinpoint any source of leaking or sucking air

N

n_sarno

Originally Posted by wax32
No, thats flex hose or something. This stuff reminds me of legos or something, it is made up of little parts that fit together to make a bendable posable hose.

Return Hose

I had this problem, and right in the top of the return hose my dad drilled 2 little holes and air just escapes, and a little water to but its below the hood so it just falls into the tank.. maybe that will help?

ophiura

Originally Posted by N_Sarno
I had this problem, and right in the top of the return hose my dad drilled 2 little holes and air just escapes, and a little water to but its below the hood so it just falls into the tank.. maybe that will help?
As an aside on this note...this is something to look for. Most of these returns do have holes just above the water line. It is a siphon break for power outages. Important to keep clear

crzyfshygy

Well alright.....I want to thank everyone who repsonded to this thread and all who are members of this site for the outstanding ideas and help that you have provided me.
I tried just about every suggestion offered here and with great conclusion. The problem has been fixed ( atleast 85% ). It came down to refitting the plumbing. I bought all new fittings and teflon taped them all very well and made sure they were extremly tight and it worked. I also removed the Chaeto from the sump as well as the light.( I will build a seperate fuge later) The bubbles comming from the return now are minimum :cheer:
The theraputic value of one reefer helping another is without parallel and it is through helping one another we learn and are able to move foward in the awesome hard hobby.
Once again Thank You
Corey