Modifying My Stand Neep You Input

adamc1303

My tank setup has the sump with everything else on the bottom therefore it is very very very loud any my wife is about to kill me. I have noticed that all stands do not have backing. Is this for any specific reason? Will anything go wrong if I put a sound proof board on the back of the tank? Here is an attached pic of my setup, the stand is 6 inches away from thw wall and that is where 75% of the noise comes from.

matty0h_52

if you have a overflow there would be no reason to not have a FULL backing on the stand. i built my own stand and completly coverd the back. Theres only two reasons for not covering it, that i can think of right off the top of my head. and that would be for better air flow. and for easy access. but in mine i just cut a 4 in by like 20in strip out and all the wires and any pipes come out of there. allso what kind of wood are ou working with and how thik?

matty0h_52

pritty nice i saw the other link with that tank i think and didnt it say that your wife was takeing the tank to her work or somthing. well i might be mistaken. but you could try filling the back holes up with more material. if not then you could get a cover for the sump. but nice tank

adamc1303

Thanks that was my tank. I will be taking it ot my office but I still need it quiet there so might as well do the work. If I do it this weekend I will post pics.

thegrog

I think the main reason that stands don't have backing is cost. Why use the extra material to cover something that is against the wall.
If you want to put a backing on it, I don't see a problem with it. Just get some sort of airflow in there. Use a small fan, like a computer fan, to get some air in and out. This will help prevent overheating and CO2 buildup.

youngsalt

You should look into some sound dampening material like Accumat or Dynamat, its about 10 bucks for 2 sq. feet. You can get it at a clocal car stereo shop even Wal-mart. I put it in both of my cars behind the plastic panels (stuck to the metal) it to stop that wreched rattling that your hear outside of cars with subs. Put it on doors and walls if you still have alot of noise after you attach the back piece.