Mojo's BC 29 with light upgrade

mojo46825

Hi all, I have been on here for some time. But here are some picsof my BC 29 that I have had for about three months now. I also took pics of my upgraded hood. I added a 50/50 36 watt pc bulband ballast. The blue LEDs are still there under the light and they still shine through at night just the same. I am actually looking at uppgrading to Metal Halides and going open top. Just not sure yet how I am going to do this. I might just keep the top and go with a stock look. If anyone is interested in my hood let me know. Otherwise I may just keep it. Anyways. Here are some pics of what I have started. My foxcoral doesnt look so hot as I took it out of my friends tank that crashed. But everythign else looks great.

A

alexa11

thats a neet look with the black sand, it really makes the colors stand out! i wouldnt have thought it would look that good!

K

kat74

Wow, I like it!~
Looks niiiiiice!
I wish I could do something like that on my own with my 29....

Love the look with the black sand!~

mojo46825

Ok all I have a question. I want to upgrade my lighting to halides. I miss my sps I used to have. Does anyone have a pic of a biocube with the sunpod on top. Or do you all think I should just retro my retro'd hood. I would go witha 150 sunpod or a 70 watt retro. If I go sunpod I will have a 108 watt Stock hood for sale .
just looking for ideas. I really want to see what it would look like with open top.

spanko

I have a 29 biocube with a 150 sunpod.
An older pic when I first got the sunpod.

A newer pic of the inside.

mojo46825

So are you running open top. I ended up buying a 20" sunpod tonight. I am thinking about getting a piece of glass cut to help with evaporation.

spanko

Originally Posted by mojo46825
http:///forum/post/2545970
So are you running open top. I ended up buying a 20" sunpod tonight. I am thinking about getting a piece of glass cut to help with evaporation.
Originally I fabricated an Acrylic top with a hinged section for feeding and such. It collected salt on the inside of it and was always dirty looking and probably cutting down the effectiveness of the light and gas exchange. I then went to a pond supply store and got some 3/8" pond netting and to Lowe's and got some plastic screen frame. Fabricated a top from that and am now good to go. The other thing about Acrylic or Glass is it will cut down on heat transfer in the summer and will cause issues.

mojo46825

Thanks for the info. I did a 70 watt halide conversion on a jbj 24g and it was ok but it did get hot. So Ididnt really want to try that again. I orderd the same light that you bought and will be here at the end of the week. I see you are using a skimmer as well. What skimmer are you using? I want something on top so the cat doest try to jump in.

spanko

I was using a sapphire aquatics skimmer but it took up the whole 2nd chamber. I now have an Oceanic that fits in the first chamber and does a decent job. In chamber 2 I now have my 100 watt stealth heater, a bag of Purigen, a bag of Chemi-Pure Elite and a large ball of Chaetomorpha with an Azoo Palm light over the chamber.

mojo46825

Yea I am thinking about getting a piece of glass cut to cover all but the filter area. We will see. I am just not a fan of open top. Thanks for all the input. I have the same skimmer ( oceanic ) and its ok. Good for the price I guess. Will take pics when I get it.

spanko

You may not be now but once the salt starts to build up on the glass and the summer comes and the heat is contained under the glass you might change your mind.
Keep posting here we love to see others tanks.

mojo46825

Spanko, How much evaporation doyou have with your 150. Just wondered how bad it would be leaving i open top? Thanks for all the help. Should get it this weekend I hope.

spanko

Originally Posted by mojo46825
http:///forum/post/2549372
Spanko, How much evaporation doyou have with your 150. Just wondered how bad it would be leaving i open top? Thanks for all the help. Should get it this weekend I hope.
During the winter my ATO has been using 2.5 gallons per week. Now that being said and not to hijack your thread, I wonder will evaporation increase in the summer? The reason I ask is during the winter the house is closed up and the air drier so more humidity needed in the air so the tank evaporates more? In the summer when the air is constantly humid here in Michigan would there be less evaporation being the air is already laden with moisture?