Monterey Bay Aquarium

ophiura

Thought I would share some shots from a recent trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium! Spot the fish in picture 4!

aw2eod

Originally Posted by ophiura
Spot the fish in picture 4!

Grunt Sculpin!!!! One of my fav fish!!
I want a cold water tank, just for a trio of them!
Great pics, Ophiura!

S

sea_star

I love that aquarium! It's so fun to watch the otters in the bay!

ophiura

Originally Posted by AW2EOD
Grunt Sculpin!!!! One of my fav fish!!
I want a cold water tank, just for a trio of them!
Great pics, Ophiura!

I want a cold water tank too, I don't think you can beat the colors that you find with a perfectly natural assemblage of organisms. We get color in tropical tanks, but it is often not representative of what you would really see in the wild.

patricia

Kudos to the aquagarden!!! I am trying my hand at achieving a wet thumb. The fish seem to do much better when there is an extensive garden in the tank. Awesome pics. :cheer:

celacanthr

Very cool pics Ophiura!
Originally Posted by patricia
Kudos to the aquagarden!!! I am trying my hand at achieving a wet thumb. The fish seem to do much better when there is an extensive garden in the tank. Awesome pics. :cheer:
I agree, the aquagraden is cool, and I think that seagrass tanks are pretty awesome.

opus18

I used to live in Capitola, CA... Spent quite a bit of time at the MBA... Three of my favorites from my last trip... Excluding my penguin pics...

laddy

Did you go up top and check out the wave making tower?
........and to think we whine and complain about moving our water from a sump, up four feet to the display tank, those people are using industrial grade pumps and piping.
They have a great cold water reef display.

ophiura

Oh yes, wandered around a lot. Your comment made me chuckle though. Where I used to work, we had a system where most of the tanks were on the first floor of a 4 story building (except for one tank that was a 4 story cylinder :scared: ) The sump for the system was also on the first floor, but the biotowers, sand filters, etc were on the 4th floor! It was crazy, and very very poorly designed, but it does put that 4' head pressure into context