monti cap.

alix2.0

got a monti cap frag last night. its the only SPS i have thats unattached. right now its just sitting on my frag rack. should i attach it to something? and where would be best to do this? the bottom? or the edge where it was broken off?
thanks.

keri

I haven't found that they grow as well unattached (for me anyhow)
I have super-glued them to rock or just recently started using the 2 part epoxy for mounting to larger rock in the tank, and I like what I can do with it.
This is what I did:

My frag was all healed edges so I just picked a side and embedded it, it's not beautiful but it will cover with corraline soon enough. My only suggestion would be to use the purple epoxy, the stuff I used is clay-coloured and a friend asked me why I had put silly-putty in my tank!

mikev

You can also wedge the frag between two rocks and it will eventually attach itself. that is the method i prefer

snakeblitz33

IF you superglue the back of the monti and put it on a piece of rock so that the main part of the monti is "verticle" not "horizontal" (like it should be) the monti will grow faster, and it will grow into a cap easier. That's just from my experience.

wattsupdoc

It will likely get moved around by critters if you don't attach it to something. Just super glue(gel) the bottom to a rock. Or of course you could use an epoxy. Monti caps grow from the edges. You can glue it from am edge if you want, but that's another edge for it to grow from. It wont make much of a difference though if you do glue it from an edge.

tito3054

Whats the braand name on the epoxy. I would like to epoxy it to the back of my tank on the black cover of the overflow. Is this possible or does water you epoxing it have to be dry,or can i just stick it in the water and it will stick?
Let me know.