Monti question

al&burke

Hey everyone Happy Columbus Day to all my American Friends and Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends.
Question about this Monti I bought about 1-1/2 ago. I have it high up in the tank I epoxied it to my overflow. When I purchased this coral I thought it was the green type. Now the pictures are not great but you can see the polyp extensions. What do you guys think?
I also threw in a picture of my newest sps - still don't know what kind it is.
Thanks again Al

tangs rule

In an earlier post, whe u bought it, there was a pic of it without full polyp extension - and it looked like an acro to me - but a day later you posted another pic with full polyp extension and i realized I was wrong on the earlier ID... It's a seriatopora - and likely S. guttatas....compare to the description and 3rd picture in the "Coral Library" here:
http://sdmas.com/corals/809.php
I have a colony that is approaching 6" diameter -apologies on the earlier error.
Not sure what your asking on the monti though?

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangs rule http:///t/388410/monti-question#post_3425327
In an earlier post, whe u bought it, there was a pic of it without full polyp extension - and it looked like an acro to me - but a day later you posted another pic with full polyp extension and i realized I was wrong on the earlier ID... It's a seriatopora - and likely S. guttatas....compare to the description and 3rd picture in the "Coral Library" here:
http://sdmas.com/corals/809.php
I have a colony that is approaching 6" diameter -apologies on the earlier error.
Not sure what your asking on the monti though?
I think you are right on the second picture of the sps - the question I was aking about the monti it was supposed to be green but it looks bleached out - but I do see polyps extensions.

tangs rule

Oh - yes, sometimes a coral will take on a different color under different light color/intensity. Sometimes the coral will continue to grow properly and other times not. Significantly too much or less light can cause bleaching. You may have the monti a little high and the intenstiy of the light has bleached it..Since it's already attached - I'd take 2 layers of plastic "screen door" type screen and place over the frag to "shade" it some. Just a couple peices the size of a playing card supported just over the water will knock out some of the light - and the polyps should re-color

al&burke

Thanks TR - I have had this coral for over a month - it is starting to look a bit darker. Hey the other one I read the write up - it says that the plyps are out day and night, this coral always has its polyps out. Thanks again my friend.

al&burke

Well I just wanted to share I have had this sps for a few months now, growing like crazy I think here is a NOW and BEFORE shots
NOW

BEFORE

al&burke

Funny you say that - I noticed a little piece that was broken off it was just hanging - I tried to get it but it fell into the live rock. I think I may have hit the coral when I was trying to catch the fry yesterday.

tangs rule

Yup - S. guttatas is a very fast growing birdsnest coral....I got a small 3" diameter colony back in March/April - and it's approaching 8" dia easy now....Sadly mine developed some sort of issue with the core of it bleaching&dying - so I had to break it up and make up about 4 each 3" groups of it....I dunno why it suddenly developed almost an RTN thing - but the frags are doin great. This issue started last month and within 2 weeks, 1/3 of the core of it had died....but now I can have 3 of them, and give one to a local sps hound

1guydude

i swear sps are driving me crazy! I can keep sps in one tank but in my other tank i think im burning em up!
Or maybe im over skimming idk! Grrrrrrr....
Looks great Al! I love that nice piece of sps u got their...is it blue or purple? Looks blue to me!

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/388410/monti-question#post_3432277
i swear sps are driving me crazy! I can keep sps in one tank but in my other tank i think im burning em up!
Or maybe im over skimming idk! Grrrrrrr....
Looks great Al! I love that nice piece of sps u got their...is it blue or purple? Looks blue to me!
I'm having an issue too in the 225G....the deepwater acros are doing great, as is my purple capricornis...BUT the rest :( IDK WTH is going on
scared to try anything else right now