Montipora Digitata Help!

altrocker

Okay so I just got my first montipora, and it was a little bleached when I got it, but it was only $10 so I got it anyway. It started "shedding" it's tissue for a few days, but has stopped that now, and there are still part of it still alive. The water params are good and the other corals are doing fine (have some zoos, mushrooms, and a gsp). It is under 2 t5 10,000k & 2 actinic lights for 12 hours a day and 1 150w 14k MH for 6 hours a day. It's about 4ish inches from the water line. Does anyone have any suggestions on dosing the tank with something, or doing a drip on it etc? Any tips will be appreciated!

spanko

Pretty easy coral. I would get this off the rack and into a permanent location so it can settle in. Medium to higher flow and likes medium height under T5 or MH lighting.

J

jstdv8

I've tried 2 digis now with 0 success, it's the only coral i can't seem to keep alive for some reason.

altrocker

@ Nike I've never had any nudibranchs in my system. And I've never seen them... But I'll remain diligent. A blue-leg hermit crab was crawling on it for a while, but I think he was just eating the dead stuff because I haven't seen one on it since it's stopped shedding.

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/384596/montipora-digitata-help#post_3369726
you should look for monti eating nudibranchs
Yep, that is what I was thinking as fist thought

Very bad if un checked
Montipora eating nudibranch are quite a pest if not found early on. They eat the living flesh of Montipora species and can wipe out all your Montipora corals if left unchecked, commonly first seen on the underside of Montipora capricornis but you must check all species of Montipora for they can be found even on Montipora digitata. They look like white, off-white, or brown fluffy spots up to 3/8" long and the best place to look for them is at the base and undersides of the Montipora corals. A tell tale sign of there presence is the appearance white dead areas on the coral. The only sure way to avoid them is to quarantines the new coral for two weeks (incase there are eggs that haven't hatched) and check for there presence. If you find them you should remove them by picking them off or even better use a turkey baster to blast them off (in a separate container), and then scrub the base rock and all dead areas with a tooth brush to remove any possible eggs. You can make a coral dip using Melifix( a common fish medication). Use one cap full to one gallon container full of salt water, after about 5 minutes give the coral a shake and they should start falling off. If they are already in your system you must be diligent about there removal. You cannot remove them all in just one shot it will take several weeks checking all montipora every 3-4 days for the next month, and even then they may reappear a few months later, so always be on the look out for them and QT. Info from Garrett's www