Montipora is dying off..

mr. tuna

This is my monti cap that ive had for about a year already, and there has been some decressing. And its turning like into stone..
Is it monti bugs?

dburr

I doubt it.
I have not heard of red bugs killing a coral yet. Most likely canidates are water quality(SG, ALK, CAL, ECT...), old light, temp swings.
Can you post more info on your tank?

razoreqx

Originally Posted by MR. Tuna
Absolutly no-
ammonia
nitrate
nitrite
PH- 8.3
salinity- 1.024
Cal- 440
not sure about the alk.
I would get a PO4 reading and an ALK. How long have you had the coral?

viper_930

Could be montipora-eating nudibranchs. They're about 2-3 mm and live on the underside of the coral. Check for those, then I'll fill you in on the details if you've got them.

murph145

where do u see them at ??
or are u just going off of the die off and the pattern its happening in??

murph145

yeah i mean i can see the discolored area but corals can also just die off starting in a section and moving outward but i do agree nudis are a big problem with montiporas and are hard to find at times

viper_930

There are a few methods to completely rid the tank of these nudis.
What I did was to dilute some lugol's iodide in tank water and dip each infected piece for 3 minutes, then repeat once more in 2 days. However, the iodine dips do stress out the already weak SPS and is more risky.
A less damaging method is to scout the tank every night for a couple weeks and use airline tubing to siphon out any nudis you find.
Six-line, four-line, and yellow-coris wrasse are also reported to eat these pesky nudis, but don't count on them completely destroying the entire nudi population.