Montipora or Pachyseris

j-cal

This one is for all y'all with the borneman book or personal experience. I bought a "green monti" and got something else...maybe. unfortunately i dont have a digital camera. anywho its a grass green color and was sitting in the LFS tank upright. This is a REALLY good LFS so its hard for me to imagine that they screwed up unless their wholesaler confused them.
It is growing in the shape of the monti on pg 238 of bornemans book bottom picture. Heres the catch tho--while it does have a "bumpy" growth pattern like montis often have, they are VERY regular like the Pachyseris...almost but not quite as regular as the one bottom right on pg 248. It also has the little "grooves" (i think they are called septae) all facing perpendicular to the growth edge. I also have seen no polyp extension, but there are no circular septae from which they could come out anyway. Montipora dont exhibit this do they?
Assuming that this is a Pachyseris ive never heard of anyone else having one, so any personal exp with these woudl be quite valuable to me. There is a small spot of tissue reccession about half the size of a dime that showed up after it fell form its spot the first night, but in a week the spot hasnt grown at all. Both sides seem suitable for photosynthesis so i still have it sitting upright, but pictures lead me to beleive that it should be sitting more like a shelf. should i alter its position?
thanks for reading through this huge thread :)

wrassie86

unless i missed something .it sounds to me like it is a fire coral,and there not really a coral but related to the jelly fish family.