Moon Lights On All Night?

aprilmike2

Quick question, Is it just an option to leave moon lights on all night or is there a reason some people say that? Thanks

jerth6932

Personal choice.... but some people say that it simulates a high tide on a full moon. But It has never been proven. But either way you will be fine with!

ruaround

set your light to go with the phases of the moon to give it a "full" natural effect... but it is preference...

stone

If you HAVE moon lights why would'nt you use them at night? I could see the question if you didnt have them and were thinking about getting them, but I say if you have them use um.
Stone

jerth6932

Originally Posted by Stone
If you HAVE moon lights why would'nt you use them at night? I could see the question if you didnt have them and were thinking about getting them, but I say if you have them use um.
Stone
Alot of people just use them for nocturnal viewing opertunitys! Not to be left on all night..... when I left mine on all night... It seemed like to me that the corals didn't open as well during the day, cause they had stayed semi opened during the night! But it was an observation, not set in "STONE"!

jerth6932

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
Would the same be said for the blue LED lights that come on some PC lights?
yeah

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Jerth6932
Alot of people just use them for nocturnal viewing opertunitys! Not to be left on all night..... when I left mine on all night... It seemed like to me that the corals didn't open as well during the day, cause they had stayed semi opened during the night! But it was an observation, not set in "STONE"!
I've never left mine on all night since it was right beside my bed. I can't sleep with those lights on all night. But I have noticed the same stuffs you have the first week I got those lights, I tried leaving them on all night. The corals won't do the stuffs they usually do at night when lights goes off, when LEDS are on, my LPS have partial sweeper tentacles out, but not in full motion. But once LED lights goes out, they're in full motion. IF I left them on, they'll just stay like that and act funny the next day when lights comes on. Since I couldn't sleep with'em on, I just have'em on til 3am, then they go off. My corals acts better that way..... :happyfish

saltyreef7

I just leave a small night light on..... like in a kids room.... it works great.... the theory behind this is that a natural reef is never in total darkness.... so if your tank is in a basement for example and the lights go out.... it will be in total darkness...... that is unnatural.....and never happens in the wild...

jerth6932

Originally Posted by saltyreef7
I just leave a small night light on..... like in a kids room.... it works great.... the theory behind this is that a natural reef is never in total darkness.... so if your tank is in a basement for example and the lights go out.... it will be in total darkness...... that is unnatural.....and never happens in the wild...
There is never a Cloudy night where there is no light at all? Pitch Black? Are you sure it NEVER happens???
:hilarious
:hilarious If so I think you need to have a talking with some very unwilling clouds!!!

stone

Originally Posted by Jerth6932
There is never a Cloudy night where there is no light at all? Pitch Black? Are you sure it NEVER happens???
:hilarious If so I think you need to have a talking with some unwilling clouds!!!

Ok, lets not nitpick it an't going to hurt a darn thing to leave them on all night or leave them on all night.
Stone

nm reef

I have run across a couple of hobbyists that initially kept the "moon lights" on 24/7....but they eventually devloped a algae bloom and evenually reduced the "moon light" schedule as a preventative measure. I know moon lights are much of a light source but I'd be very cautious about leaving any type of lighting on 24/7.......

jerth6932

Originally Posted by Stone
Ok, lets not nitpick it an't going to hurt a darn thing to leave them on all night or leave them on all night.
Stone
Did you make up your mind???? LOL
" it an't going to hurt a darn thing to leave them on all night or leave them on all night."
We know which way you lean.... but it really should not matter either way, my corals didn't seem to like it!!!!

aprilmike2

Yeah all these posts about this is making me think also about it!
!! I have not been running them all night now since someone brought up a good point of..if the reef in the tank isnt in total darkness than its ok to shut them off, I have a range hood light in the kitchen we leave on all night and that lights up the tank just enough.

yimmy

I have moon lights. Heres my lighting schedule. At 5:30am moon lights turn off, at 9:00am the main lights turn on. At 7:00pm main lights go off, at 8:30pm moon lights go on. My moon lights are mounted to the canopy, I also have a fluorescent fixture. Since I have this I can dim the lights a bit by moving the fixture infront of the lights. It's a personal opinion but it doesn't affect my fish they get plenty of sleep. I don't know how it affects corals though. I wouldn't worry about running them all night. My tank is in my room and if I couldn't control how bright my lights were I couldn't sleep. They don't affect fish though.

stone

Originally Posted by NM reef
I have run across a couple of hobbyists that initially kept the "moon lights" on 24/7....but they eventually devloped a algae bloom and evenually reduced the "moon light" schedule as a preventative measure. I know moon lights are much of a light source but I'd be very cautious about leaving any type of lighting on 24/7.......

"algae bloom " From 1 Watt lights? I find that hard to believe.
Stone