moon lights?

bzolnowski

any one have any thoughts on a moon light for a 75 gallon hex and a 18 gallon nano reef tank? good idea and what is the best bet for one????? thanks, brian.

aarone

three of the custom sea life modules would be a good bet for the 75. One would work well on the 18. They dont really do anything except give the tank that extra realism.
aaron

bheron

i read a few threads on those "string lights" people use for decoration for holidays and stuff? i ran out and bought a set of nice blue ones from walmat for like $10. havent tried them yet but have heard alot of good stuff.

cprdnick

I'm running an 18 gallon via aqua and I found a moonlight that works and it ran me about 10 bucks total. I went to wal-mart and went to the fish dept. They have these lighting systems for aquariums called high lights, these are submersible or not and come with a suction cup. They sell just the lights for around 3 dollars. I bought just a blue light, then I went to the electronics department and picked up one of those voltage transformers that has a selectable voltage on it, because the LED in the light is a 6V. I cut the ends off of both, spliced them together, stuck the light where I wanted it and then plugged her in. Works great and creates a beautiful moonbeam going down the rockwall. I stuck the light on the top back rim of the tank and pointed it at an angle and down towards the floor of the tank.

bzolnowski

thanks guys for your help. i have the same 18 gallon tan, the via aqua. do you know of anywhere to get another light top likes whats on there? you could modify the bottom and have two on top and be able to grow anything in there. what do you have in there now? any ideas on what to do and what not to do with that tank? i am cycling it now. please let me know. thanks aaron as well. brian.

cprdnick

What do I have in where, the tank or the light hood? My tank is a mini reef that's just getting going as far as corals are concerned, I let it set for about 2 months before I added any corals. I have one rock with a big zoo colony on it, I have a small frogspawn wedged in a rock, and a mushroom frag that is starting to spread. My lighting is what I think is the standard. It's a 36Wx2 pc hood that has some clear legs clamping it on to the edges. I'm trying to find a fully enclosed hood for it, but no luck yet. You can get an upgrade on your suspension hood that has what I believe I remember being 96Wx2 pc with a built in moonlight. I think it runs about $150. As far as things not to do, it's about the same with anyother nano. If I can think of anything I'll let ya know though. Mine has only been up since August, so I'm only a few steps ahead of you.
What are you using equiptment wise?
How are you going to build your live rock up?
I found the via aqua website, I think they had the hoods, I'll check here in a minute.
Leave me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

bzolnowski

thank you so much for getting back to me, i tried to email you but it stated that you dont wish to be contacted by email. mine is brianzolnowski@comcast.net if you dont mind sending me over that website, i would love to buy that light set up. i think you could have anything in the tank once you have that set up. i appreciate your info on what you have in your tank. i just set it up. i have 2 1/2 inches of live sand. i also put three pieces of marshall island rock in with great growth on it to start. i layed two pieces down front to bad on each side with a good size piece facing the front sitting on top of the two rocks on the bottom. it looks good. its starting to get the brown things during the cycle which is good. i will wait to get a clown or two and then take it slow like you. thanks for the email when you get a chance. your help is very much appreciated! brian.