moonlight

timo

My actinic (65wattPC) is somewhat bright. Not really "ambient" lighting. I think I've seen lower wattage ones. If you have a tall canopy, perhaps you could mount a lower wattage one high up.
Other than that, moonlights are comercially available, and some members have posted on them. Do a search. You may even turn up a link if I remember correctly.

overanalyzer

some people have used some blue or purple LED bulbs - the kind used on cars and what not - tangman or tangmanmontreal had asweet set-up wher the LED was down near or in the water ... can't remember ... I have an e-mail someplace ... will look for it!

I'm not a swift electrician, so opted for Moonbeams. A bit overpriced, but easy to hook up and effect is great!
If you have any measure of electrical skills, the same can be accomplished for far less. Many folks on this BB have done it. Do a search for it and you'll find alot of in depth information on the exact procedure for wiring your own.

I put together some moonlighting using 6 LEDs and other stuff from Radio Shack. As with all things it couldn't have been done without help from my friends here at swf.com. If you want me to give you directions and a diagram just let me know.
The only skill you'll need is soldering and taping. The rest is cake.

You'll need a soldering iron and some solder, and the following:
2600 MCD blue LEDs. rated 20 - 30 mA.
a 4.5 V power supply which produces 700 mA.
40 ohm resistors (1 per LED)
put the LEDs in parallel, and the resistor on the negative wire of each light.
and tape
O----|----|----|----|----|
.|.....|.....|.....|.....|.....|
.|.....V....V....V....V.....V
.|.....|.....|.....|.....|.....|
.|.....X....X....X.....X....X
.|.....|.....|.....|......|....|
.|----|----|----|

[hr]
|---|
V = LEDs
X = resistors
0 = power supply
I suggest hooking it all up with out the solder first just to make sure it works. Then soler it all together, and tape it up. Voila! cheap moonlighting. My whole project was around $20. And took roughly a day. Given time for trial and error, plus asking questions in the DIY section here.
Hope this helps!

pjsfish

I just used two of the low voltage blue path lights (4 watt bulbs) from home depot. They are found where the replacement bulb for path lights are kept. The sockets are the hard part to find, I had some left over from lights I used around my deck. I bought a 500ma 12V power supply from Radio Shack, cut off the plug, wired the two sockets in parallel to the power supply, plugged in the bulbs, and rested the sockets on top of my lights. Moonlights for under $20.

timo

I just came back from WallyWorld and at the fish section (pathetic) there was for sale a box with two "moonlights" for just under 30$. They looked cheesy, though.

reef fool

I have Blueline Aquatics moonlights. Love them! Custom Sealife sells a $20 version now. Mine were $50 The CSL's have one LED, the Bluelines have 4 LED's.

reef fool

Originally posted by scarab
Hey Reef fool do you have a website address where you can buy them?
Thanks!!

E-Mail me @ Franksreef@yahoo.com
not supposed to post links to other vendors here.
Which Ones, mine or the CSL's?