Moonlights

pokke

I've read a number of posts about folks purchasing Moonlights or various arrays of blue lighting to simulate moonshine in the water.
It struck me that the condensed and bright LED packages are as pricey as they are. I suppose that the technology is still new (moonlighting for aquaria, not LEDs!)
At any rate, it got me wondering... A quick search on ---- turned up some decent LED bulbs and some LED light bars designed for cars. Chop off the car adapter and splice in a 12V, 300ma adapter and you got yourself a moonlight.
I'll post the results when the order comes in. I decided on a 12" high intensity blue light bar with 12 LEDs. Should make a nice shimmer effect at night.

cboyfan2020

i also know of people who took LED rope lights from walmart and wrapped them around the inside of their canopy to acheive the same affect. Let us know how it turns out.

pokke

Light bar finally arrived today! Super simple conversion and installation and Viola! Moonlight effect!
I had on old 12V adapter (300mA) laying around. I simply cut off the cigarette lighter adapter from the light bar and put the AC adapter in it's place. The lights are surprisingly bright and mounted very easily.
All in all, it was an inexpensive alternative to add some night time lighting!

pokke

In-car kit, actually. I got it from ---- where it was listed as Blue Light Bar. The url for the shop is: Terrrrrshop Didn't see it in their normal page listing, but you might email the seller at Terry Chan . He's a saltwater fish guy himself, so I'm sure he'd be willing to sell to however contacts him. Seemed like a nice guy.
Good Luck!

treg

You might also want to take a look at the CC tubes (Cold Cath) that People are using to mod their PC's. One of the better places to order those are PcMods You can get a nice Blue light for about $20. Or a couple UV lights like I have in my PC :D