Moorish Idol... Getting one.

eaglephot

I am going to get a moorish idol. One of my petstores is going out of business because the two owners don't like each other. Its a great place too. So anyway, they have a moorish idol for 30 bucks about 3 inches. I don't want the poor thing to go to a bad home for that price ("Mommy! Mommy! Look at that pretty fishy! Can we get it for the fish tank?") Get the picture? I am hoping for some success! I will post pics when I get it. The fish is going into a 135 gallon.

fatcats

i never had one but one of my fishy friends had one for a 1 1/2 he said the trick was to very slowly acclimate it great water and proper nutrtion he said baby brine shirpm work at first then others foods
Good Luck

ophiura

Originally Posted by Nick76
It should be fine in a 135, good buy. But aren't they difficult to care for?

Most moorish idols, if they survive past a year, are in much large systems - over 300g, so while it could be worse, a 135g, IMO, is not large enough. Is it a reef tank? A YEAR is a critical mark...not months, many many many survive a few months, and eat EVERYTHING, by the way.
Getting it to feed can be an issue. Most of these fish will not survive beyond a year, regardless of what tank they are in.

ledzep fan

is you do get it your best bet is to try feeding it some sponge. I belive you can buy it on SWF.com. Good Luck and dont forget to post pics!!

eaglephot

I picked him up tonight. He is acclimating while I type. He has about a half hour more to go. I am so excited and so nervous. I will keep you posted.

xdave

Originally Posted by fatcats
i never had one but one of my fishy friends had one for a 1 1/2 he said the trick was to very slowly acclimate it great water and proper nutrtion he said baby brine shirpm work at first then others foods
Good Luck
:thinking: So then what happened? :thinking:

ice4ice

I hope you have a constant supply of food because they constantly eating all the time. If not, they will die. That's why they are best left in the wild.

drea

when i gat a fish only i'll def add a morish idol, its one of the most exotic fish out there!

ophiura

Originally Posted by drea
when i gat a fish only i'll def add a morish idol, its one of the most exotic fish out there!

Why a fish only system? They would do far better in a large reef, IMO. They are not likely to do well with the sort of fish found in a fish only system. In addition - an exotic fish, and an exotic fish that doesn't live long in our tanks. They aren't exotic when they are floating dead :(

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
I hope you have a constant supply of food because they constantly eating all the time. If not, they will die. That's why they are best left in the wild.
Actually, usually even the ones that eat fine die around the 1 year mark.
It's not food that's the issue. That could be dealt with. It's a yet undiscovered trait that kills the fish in captivity.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by drea
Exotic, imho, usually goes hand in hand with "improper pet".

xdave

Hey, at least you're trying to save him. At only $30 and a main character in Finding Nemo, he could end up in some 5 year olds 10 gallon night light tank.

eaglephot

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
I have tons of food. I am stocked with almost everything made! LOL I said almost. LOL. I totally agree with them being best in the wild. But, if it was taken from the wild I might as well try to keep it as long as possible.

eaglephot

Originally Posted by ophiura
Why a fish only system? They would do far better in a large reef, IMO. They are not likely to do well with the sort of fish found in a fish only system. In addition - an exotic fish, and an exotic fish that doesn't live long in our tanks. They aren't exotic when they are floating dead :(
I agree. This guy is in my 135 reef. I know I am taking a chance with my coral. It is doing awesome. Not touching anything. It is eating all of my sponges of my live rock. He ate the second I put him in the tank. I love having this fish in my system. I wouldn't recommend having this fish though.

eaglephot

Originally Posted by Jmick
where in Il are you, what shops?
I am in Winfield, IL. I got this guy from Deep Reef on 63rd St.

eaglephot

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Actually, usually even the ones that eat fine die around the 1 year mark.
It's not food that's the issue. That could be dealt with. It's a yet undiscovered trait that kills the fish in captivity.
People who keep this fish in a reef tank seem to have them longer. Maybe that is the undiscovered trait. Its doing great.
I have pics on my camera I just need to get them on the comp.

eaglephot

Originally Posted by xDave
Hey, at least you're trying to save him. At only $30 and a main character in Finding Nemo, he could end up in some 5 year olds 10 gallon night light tank.
My thought exactly! LOL

xdave

You can usually get The best thing to feed them for almost, if not totally free. The live rock fragments on the bottom of the lfs tanks. Go in just before they get their rock shipments and offer to clean out the tanks if you can keep the little pieces. Try to get Pacific stuff. Just spread it in the bottom of his tank and he'll be real happy. Once he gets used to that, if you run out, in the meantime, just take LR fragments and smear frozen angel food with sponge on them.