Moorish Idol... Getting one.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by Eaglephot
I picked him up tonight. He is acclimating while I type. He has about a half hour more to go. I am so excited and so nervous. I will keep you posted.
dont be nervous, chances r if u take care of him well he'll live well, and if he dies like xDavex said atleast hes not in some kids 10 gallon nightstand

1journeyman

People who keep this fish in a reef tank seem to have them longer. Maybe that is the undiscovered trait. Its doing great.
I have pics on my camera I just need to get them on the comp.
I haven't heard of many success stories even in reef tanks over the 1 year mark. The only successes I've heard of are in very, very large reef tanks.

ophiura

I feel the need to remind everyone that it is not at ALL uncommon for this fish to eat readily - and eat everything. But many many many many many will die right around the year mark. It has very little to do with how well you take care of it - this is not a "take care of it well and it will do well" scenario. In the very best of systems, with the most experienced keepers, babied with all manner of food, they die.
I am happy it is eating. But I beg you not to let people get the impression until you've kept it at least a year, that it is great, you've succeeded, etc, etc. That is a very important message to keep clear....especially for yourself.

xdave

I agree, every bit of advice here could start with the phrase "he might live a year if you...".

eaglephot

Originally Posted by ophiura
I feel the need to remind everyone that it is not at ALL uncommon for this fish to eat readily - and eat everything. But many many many many many will die right around the year mark. It has very little to do with how well you take care of it - this is not a "take care of it well and it will do well" scenario. In the very best of systems, with the most experienced keepers, babied with all manner of food, they die.
I am happy it is eating. But I beg you not to let people get the impression until you've kept it at least a year, that it is great, you've succeeded, etc, etc. That is a very important message to keep clear....especially for yourself.
Yeah thanks. That is what everyone on this post is saying. "They die around the year mark, eat a ton etc." I said above that I would not recommend this fish. The ONLY reason I got this fish was because it was at a petstore in a 10 gallon tank for 30 bucks. This is not a fish I would normally have. Please don't think of me as a "taking a fish from the ocean that should not have been taken kind of a person". I am actually not the person who took it from the ocean and believe it should have never been taken.

cwgibson

I am going to get a moorish idol. One of my petstores is going out of business because the two owners don't like each other. Its a great place too. So anyway, they have a moorish idol for 30 bucks about 3 inches. I don't want the poor thing to go to a bad home for that price ("Mommy! Mommy! Look at that pretty fishy! Can we get it for the fish tank?") Get the picture? I am hoping for some success! I will post pics when I get it. The fish is going into a 135 gallon.
please dont buy this fish

ledzep fan

Originally Posted by cwgibson
please dont buy this fish

If you have read his previous posts he has already bought the fish.

sidd

It would of been a shame for him to end up in a 10g tank. It's funny how we all care for these fish the way we do. Yet I will go out use a worm on a hook, throw a fish in a bucket with no water, club it,(to keep it from moving) and slice it up and eat it. So, instead of saying that a 135 is to small for it or it will probaly die in a year, I will wish you the best of luck.

whitey

Moorish Idols shouldn't be sold in pet shops period.
I hope your fish does okay, but sadly, I don't believe it will.
These fish are never expensive. People are always saying, it was "only" $30 so I bought it. They only cost $30 cause it will die in the store if they don't sell it fast.
A 135 gallon is not big enough anyways.

ophiura

So I know this is more philosophical than anything else, but it is something that bothers me a bit (not this case in particular...the logic). By all means I hope this fish does well, I really do. But it is definitely not a "if you take care of it, it will be fine" case. :(
I know people are saying it is bad if it ends up in a 10g tank, and it is. But it is important not to look at the individual fish. What is true from the LFS perspective is that THEY SOLD THE FISH. Which means they will order ANOTHER one of these fish. And it may be dead, it may be in a 10g tank...regardless, they sold it, they will stock another. What is important, though brutal, is that the fish DIES in their tanks. Or that people refuse to buy them. Because only when the store does not sell them, will they stop buying them, and the pressure will be reduced to get them....and then they will stop being collected.
So it is what scale you look at this issue, and discuss it.
If from an individual fish - OK, it is better off than it would be. From the hobby/species perspective - demand means more fish are collected, simple as that. And for each idol that makes it even this far, many many have not. The survival rate is much lower than for many other fish in the trade.
I'm not judging this case, BTW, please don't take it like that. This fish is better off, relatively. It has a chance, better than most, but still low. :( It is NOT a statement about about the hobbyist, the tank, or anything. To me this thread has become somewhat philosophical only in the "10g tank" comments, so pardon my running with that
It is a trait of mine.

But my message in situations like these - as hard as it is - is to pass them by at the store. Maybe even not to frequent stores that carry them, and make it known why. But if you aren't concerned - if they are decor, or you subscribe to the "its not the ocean anyway so who cares" logic, then it is your choice what to do, so be it.

cwgibson

Originally Posted by ophiura
So I know this is more philosophical than anything else, but it is something that bothers me a bit (not this case in particular...the logic). By all means I hope this fish does well, I really do. But it is definitely not a "if you take care of it, it will be fine" case. :(
I know people are saying it is bad if it ends up in a 10g tank, and it is. But it is important not to look at the individual fish. What is true from the LFS perspective is that THEY SOLD THE FISH. Which means they will order ANOTHER one of these fish. And it may be dead, it may be in a 10g tank...regardless, they sold it, they will stock another. What is important, though brutal, is that the fish DIES in their tanks. Or that people refuse to buy them. Because only when the store does not sell them, will they stop buying them, and the pressure will be reduced to get them....and then they will stop being collected.
So it is what scale you look at this issue, and discuss it.
If from an individual fish - OK, it is better off than it would be. From the hobby/species perspective - demand means more fish are collected, simple as that. And for each idol that makes it even this far, many many have not. The survival rate is much lower than for many other fish in the trade.
I'm not judging this case, BTW, please don't take it like that. This fish is better off, relatively. It has a chance, better than most, but still low. :( It is NOT a statement about about the hobbyist, the tank, or anything. To me this thread has become somewhat philosophical only in the "10g tank" comments, so pardon my running with that
It is a trait of mine.

But my message in situations like these - as hard as it is - is to pass them by at the store. Maybe even not to frequent stores that carry them, and make it known why. But if you aren't concerned - if they are decor, or you subscribe to the "its not the ocean anyway so who cares" logic, then it is your choice what to do, so be it.
i agree the more that people buy the more that will die. i wouldnt get one just from an economical standpoint: "why would i pay money for something that will probably only live a few months." i got mine from a friend that made a bad choice, i begged him not to get one but he did and i ended up with it.

cjml

Originally Posted by sidd
It would of been a shame for him to end up in a 10g tank. It's funny how we all care for these fish the way we do. Yet I will go out use a worm on a hook, throw a fish in a bucket with no water, club it,(to keep it from moving) and slice it up and eat it. So, instead of saying that a 135 is to small for it or it will probaly die in a year, I will wish you the best of luck.
Well said.....

firedog

In this person's defense, this lfs won't be buying anymore idols. As he stated in the first post, the store is going out of business. But the point is made that if you don't buy the fish, stores will stop selling them.
On the other hand, how do we learn about this fish and its needs if we don't make attempts at keeping them? This is certainly not a task for the casual aquarist, but many things we keep now were considered short lived at one time.

pallan

one of my local LFS will not carry or even order this fish. He has worked in the public aqurium sector and says even large zoo aquariums have trouble with this fish.
that said. Glad he is doing well. please keep us updated. someday one of us is going to figure out how to keep this animal.

J

jupoc911

this fish are better kept in groups first off. from my experience they feed regualrly on just about anything, but eventually die. something about there diet in captitivty compared to the ocean is the problem here. not worth imo. reminds me of rock beauty or the spotfin butterfly.

daj0424

I have had my moorish idol for a few months now. I feed it 3-6 tims a day mostly pellets. When I first got it, I heard that New life spectrum pellets were designed with the Moorish Idol in mind. The MI did not eat at first so I tried everything I could think of. It ended up that frozen claims and mussels from my local grocery stores seafood section did the trick. Once it was comfortable in the tank it started eating the pellets.
I have also noticed that this species (at least in my case) has been more durable than most people think. My water quality is not the greatest. I have had nigh nitrates (40-80ppm) for a long time. Can never seem to get those darn nitrates down.
My MI still looks great and it not showing any signs of dying off. I have had it since early september.
Some things to consider:
-I mix New life spectrum pellets with Formula II pellets for a varied diet
-I use Chemi pure Bags
-I have about 50 lbs of LR ( I could use a little more)
-I have 90g Reef ready tank (Blue Hippo tang, Yellow Eye Tang, MI) It is not a reef tank FOWLR
I am not saying that I am right or worng with anything I do, I am just letting you know that I have gotten this far with this fish and it has been going good.
My tank has also been established for over 5 years. That helps alot IMO!!!!!!!!
Good luck!

ophiura

A few months, I am sorry to say, is not enough time. Many people keep them a few months.
In the LFS I worked at, one arrived on a "rescue" shipment (aside, if people wonder why many fish are not shipped in the winter, it is because they can get stuck somewhere - this LFS never carried moorish idols). We refused to sell it.
The fish ate EVERYTHING it was given, no joke. EVERYTHING, and immediately too.
It beat the snot out of - seriously cornered and beat up - any fish put in with it (hi fin snapper, emperor angel...)
It survived system crashes and disease that wiped out triggers, lions and groupers, and it was in a small LFS tank - no larger than perhaps a 55 at most.
It died, looking fat and otherwise healthy, eating everything it was given, at right about the year mark as many many many do.
A few months is no where near enough time to judge success, IMO. This is a fish that no uncommonly survives a year before mysteriously dying. Your experience appears to be right in line with mine, and mine ended like most others do.

Again, while I wish everyone success, a few months is not enough time to establish success. The fish must be kept at least a year, IMO, to know for sure.

fallnhorse

Originally Posted by sidd

I only kill the fish i eat. If i mortally wound it while fish it will be dinner. Too many lakes are being over fished in my area and its awful. I really don't keep a fish while fishing anymore. But i take lots of pictures. But i still only kept few fish in colorado where they stocked heavy. But Took A LOT of pictures of them. Quick on the draw too. So they don't stay out of water long.

reef diver

Heres another perspective. If the fish were in a store that is not going out of business, don't buy it, because that will only encourage them to order more. However, as is the case of this thread, the store was going out of business, and therefore, when it was bought, it did not encourage the store to buy more Idols, because the store is going out, and cannot order more.