Moorish idol vs. Long nosed butterfly

jbadge

I had a longnosed butterfly get ick. I put him in a hospital tank for a few days. When I returned him to the main tank, the moorish idol started picking on him until he almost died. I took the LN Butterfly and put him in a second tank. Now he's almost dead. Why did the MI do this when they were in the tank together prior to the ick with no problems.

michael7979

After the LN was removed from the 1st tank the MI assumed territorial rights and defended them when the LN was re-introduced. IMO

golfish

WOW, now those are some really hard fish to keep. The BF fish might be a litttle easier to keep but the MI is reall hard. How long have you had them?
Back to your question. My guess is you haven't had either one very long. When you put the BF in QT the MI made the main tank his territory (sp?) when you returned the BF the MI was just defending his turf.

golfish

Originally posted by jbadge
Would it be possible to put another LN in the tank?

:D How long have you had these fish? You know that most experts can't keep a MI alive. If I'm not mistaken the LNBF feed on sponges, are you providing the LNBF with sponges?