moorish idol

moorish#1

I have a 4x5 in long moorish idol beautiful things. eats like crazy, he loves pellets he wont stop eating. he's awesome. had him for a month but was already tank raised.

my way

Here's another take on difficult fish that everyone says should be left in the ocean. (BTW I agree a lot of fish should never be caught for retail sale.) There are a lot of marine inhabitant's that were considered impossible to keep years ago, but now are consider somewhat easy. With that said, if you have had success keeping your livestock healthy and you see one for sale why not give it a try, you might be the one who finds out the trick to keeping one. After all it is already in the store for sale. Now I know people are going to say "But if no one buys them eventually the will stop importing them". Wrong! There is always going to be enough people who buy them because the don't know any better or just don't care. Unfortunately there are plenty of people who feel ornamental fish are nothing more than a disposable commodity ( I know I spelled that one wrong!). If it was'nt for someone trying what is considered impossible, we would all be keeping freshwater tanks.

anthropo

Originally Posted by Moorish#1
I have a 4x5 in long moorish idol beautiful things. eats like crazy, he loves pellets he wont stop eating. he's awesome. had him for a month but was already tank raised.

no idol is tank raised....tank raised means they were breed in captivity.

ophiura

Originally Posted by fanker
idols arent impossible, its just that some are sutable for a fish tank and some arent. if u want one than if u are getting one from a store than ask them to hold it as long as they can and just keep an eye on it and if it eats well than it will usually live,

I disagree. Commonly they have no problems whatsoever eating everything and anything they are given, and still die about a year later.
We had one at an LFS...ate EVERYTHING, survived system crashes that killed far "tougher" fish, beat the snot out of several fish...looked GREAT. and died, suddenly, as most do, a year later.
If you want one, IMO, you should at a minimum try a 300g tank, with lots of LR....set up a tank basically for keeping this fish, not as some addition to a random tank.