moorish idol

cwgibson

210g i am ordering some sponges from this site to put in there and let her eat on, could be expensive but its worth it.

natep206

ive heard of people keeping little 10 gallons for growing sponge for there idols. if you know where your idol was caught it will help getting sponge native to its area. anf if you are near the coast. go on a local divers forum and ask if anyone will collect sponge for you. you can freeze cold water spong (or tropical depending on where you live) and feed it to your idol regularly.
nate

reef diver

Halso, ask around this site, many hitchhiker sponges that grow like mad climb on our LR, I know peudoscr has a bazillion sponges, I have a few, fast growing non-photosynthetic ones you could have, if I can Imay be able to cut a piece off to send to you :0 But I do recdco0mend a growing tank, sorta like a refugium.

madman33

sorry kind of ot but u have been to keys island right reef diver? If so do u know how long they have had their moorish idol/what they feed it?

eaglephot

WOW! That is my dream to have an Idol in my tank. I don't want to risk it nipping on any of my corals or gorgonians.
Its a beauty! How long have you had it? What is it eating? I really hope it goes well for you! CONGRATS! How is it doing with your coral? What other fish do you have? Are they bothering it?

reef diver

Yeh I go to keys, but its been a while like a few months since ive been down, I know Ki the owner or Mike will tell you if you ask, I live in the mountains so its a long drive down, and gas is expensive, but school is my true predicament so sorry I dont know.

cwgibson

Originally Posted by damselsrck
Beautiful fish, and it sounds like you know what you're doing. I just hope she makes it..

i wish i knew what i was doing. this fish was one i would never try but it was given to me by a friend that got it and her angels were giving it a hard time (even after i told her not to get it). the fish has done all the work; she has ate since the moment i put her in the tank. ive been lucky so far just hope to keep it going. the streamer has grown back since i got her so i guess that is one good thing.

cwgibson

Originally Posted by Eaglephot
WOW! That is my dream to have an Idol in my tank. I don't want to risk it nipping on any of my corals or gorgonians.
Its a beauty! How long have you had it? What is it eating? I really hope it goes well for you! CONGRATS! How is it doing with your coral? What other fish do you have? Are they bothering it?
210g
1 hippo
1 vlamingi
1 sailfin
2 clarki
2 true percs
5 chromis
several corals and they have not been bothered.
as for food i took formula 1 and 2,vhp,clams,mysis,trigger formula,prime reef,brine with spirulna(sp) emerald entree,squid,marine quisine,krill... i think thats it, put all of that in a food processor and froze it, plus i put 2 big tree sponges in there for it to graze on. feed 2-3 times a day.

reef diver

Wow youve got one heckof a feeding routine. 2-3 times perday would overwhelm my Bio FIlter, thenagain you do have quite the fishload