Moorish idol????

primetizzle

Anybody ever had one of these in their tank? Just wondering what kind of luck people have had with one of these guys

aquaguy24

these are one of those better left in the ocean...even experts have trouble keeping these guys..its hard to duplicate their natural diet in a home aquarium..

primetizzle

well its been a little more then a month and the idol is doing great
...he eats all the time his dorsal fin has grown about an one to two inches longer then when I brought him home. I don't want to jinx myself but it looks like he's gonna be just fine

-tara33-

there have been many times-in fact most cases that an idol is eating fine, its just the fact that its not the right food, it can live on it for a little while but most die even tho they are eating, make sure he is fed three times a day and the majority of that food needs to be sponge flakes and real sponge of rocks, but good luck with him. how big is he?

tonysi

I hope the tank is at least 300 gals.A guy I know has a 300 reef with tons of sponge growing in it and it and he still lost 1 moorish idol after a year of trying to get it to live.He still has three and theyre going strong though.

ophiura

Originally Posted by primetizzle
http:///forum/post/2848814
well its been a little more then a month and the idol is doing great
...he eats all the time his dorsal fin has grown about an one to two inches longer then when I brought him home. I don't want to jinx myself but it looks like he's gonna be just fine

Don't celebrate. This is very common with Moorish Idols.
I have cut and pasted my experience more times than anything:

[hr]
This is my experience with a Moorish Idol, which arrived at the LFS I worked at in a shipment they were asked to receive due to weather delays.
It arrived. Owner said: "It will be dead, soon."
Week ended. Moorish idol alive.
Next few weeks, same story.
Moorish Idol eats everything put into the tank...nibbles on LR, brine, any frozen diet sponge based or not, nori, even pellets and flakes.
But owner keeps the mantra: "it will be dead, soon"
Months pass. System crashes. Idol survives. Eats everything. Looks fantastic.
More months pass and one owner of the store realizes, well, heck, might as well design a display around it because this one is a survivor.
Idol put in with Majestic angel. Idol beats the crap out of it, and any other fish put in with it.
Eats like a champ. You name it.
Other owner still says, "it will be dead, soon."
One day, over a year later.
Idol dead.
Sponge diets and all. Contant fresh supply of LR and all. Eating anything and everything. Fed multiple times a day. Surviving system crash that took out far tougher fish. Beating the crap out of others. One healthy Idol. Dead, like nearly all the others.
One owner was right.
Please do not get one.

[hr]
(and proof that keeping one a few months still isn't reason to get too used to keeping it longer)

after reading many , many posts will stick with the bannerfish [hen. butterfly]....I love moorish idol....but think , like the octopi there best left in the open ocean...beautiful fish best left alone

mx#28

Originally Posted by Cleve_seahorse
http:///forum/post/2849445
after reading many , many posts will stick with the bannerfish [hen. butterfly]....I love moorish idol....but think , like the octopi there best left in the open ocean...beautiful fish best left alone
Though they do need specialized care, I think most octopuses (yes, this is the correct grammer
) are much better suited for aquarium life than the idols.

mboswell1982

but, the biggest problem with em, according to what ive read in the books, on here, and after talking to people, is that they only live about 6 months to a year in captivity