morally bankrupt specialty store

dreamcatcher

i would be incredibly irritated if i was new to this hobby and the owners of the lfs encouraged this type of sale. sounds to me like they are very unprofessional and very unappreciative of the business in general. koodos to you for sticking up for your self and telling everyone your story. this type of sale is why people get so frustrated and leave this hobby prematurely. noone i should have these types of fish with out fully understanding the ambush predatory tendencies. sounds like corbins exotics have lost out on this one.
dont let it frustrate you you will only grow with this hobby.

ophiura

I do have to say that the blanket statements about LFS' may not always be warranted. They do have to sell fish but they need to KEEP customers to do that. So logically they can not anger them all. I worked at an LFS and we did not push predatory fish on people just to sell it. In fact some fish (seahorses, discus) you had to basically pass an exam before we would sell them.
So what you need is to RESEARCH the animals. Then go to a store. Once you find a store where he LFS basically gives you similar advice to what you've read, then you are good to go. But you can never trust anyone solely, because there is OPINION that is mixed in. Opinion and experience do not make a person misleading...
So definitely don't go to that place again...but at the same time NEVER impulse purchase a fish, coral, equipment without your OWN research. If you are willing to spend money just on the word of someone, that is a problem in and of itself. :(
This site is an interesting "LFS" in this regard because in effect they allow people to say "don't buy that fish" when in fact they are trying to sell it. It is why I have always respected SWF...