moray eel

fishysam

Hey guys I'm new to the board. I am currently setting up a 70 gal FOWLR and a 35 gal FOWLR. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with other morays besides the snowflake or chainlink. I wanted to make the 70 gallon an aggressive setup with a moray eel and a trigger, I know there are a lot of different species of morays. Are there any suggestions?

cactus jack

if you wanna go real aggressive get yourself a tesselata and be done with it. make sure you put a nice big sign up on the front of the tank saying "keep hands inside pockets at all times"

pufferlover

Now if it were me I would consider how long I would be happy with just 2 fish in that tank. If you can control yourself (I normally can't) I would go with the snowflake which stays a managable size. But in time it and the Trigger will outgrow a 70 and then what do you do with them. Most lfs do not want big eels unless they are for a display tank, and depending on which Trigger my store will not even take Clowns back that are too big since it requires them to tie up a whole tank waiting for a buyer.

that big of a eel in my opinion wouldn't do that well in that tank, eels are messy eaters so you wouold need a really

[hr]
filter and have a lot of time to clean the tank and they are expensive and will eat a lot of the fish you want to put in there plus the eel is too big for the tank. but i would go with a snowflake and a lionfish/puffer

pufferlover

To clarify somewhat of what I posted, a snowflake will get to 24 to 36" as a full adult. Most of what I have read say that they do fine in a 50 gal or larger tank. My concern above was the more of the adult size of the Trigger and their tendancy to nip at things. The idea of the Puffer and eel sounds good to me as I did have a Dogface (small one) in with my 1 foot snowflake and they did fine with each other. Of course dumb me I gave the Puffer up to make room for the Regal Angel which then got sick and has passed on (another one of my many brainstorms).

fishysam

thanks a lot guys, it sure is true that I probably wouldn't be too happy with just two fish in a tank. I saw two huge five foot tesselatas in a display tank at my lfs and the store owner has scars over his fingers.