more design of fragging and propagation tanks..

mr.mainelymagi

Ok, I am having a hard time finding information relating to water depth and its effect on the amount of, and type of lighting
If I needed 11 watts per gallon in a tank 3 feet tall, I would need less in a tank 15 inches tall...correct? if I am wrong can someone point me in the direction of some lighting FAQ's lol because my local shop seems to be on the wrong path alot compaired to things I am reading

J

jetskiking

Here is a little something I threw together.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/364885/aquarium-lighting-101

mr.mainelymagi

Awesome thread, tons of usefull information.
My main challenge is from a budget prespective...I wanna start cheap, and maybe pick up a 125 gallon on the sly later, are 55 galloon drums ok to grow in? I am planning on cutting them length wise and laying them on their sides on a stand, then plumping them all to a master sump/refuguim with a bypass sytem in place in case somethnig happens. 3 tanks, 1 for sps/high light req, one for Lps, and a tank for odds and ends

watts per gallon dont mean anything anymore... its all in par and the lights your using.... 100 watts of PC are not the same as 100 watts of t-5... there are cheaper things made by rubbermade to use...

mr.krabbz

could you possibly give us the difference between the two? Which IYO would be the better choice? I am fairly new to this hobby so any help would be appreciated.