More light questions

dcm22

I have two double light strips over my 150G tank. I keep reading about all these people who have 100 to 200 watts for a little 40 gallon tank. I have a 50/50 blue on each side at 35 watts each and a standard 35 watt flo. on each side. Thats only a total of 140 watts for a 150G. Everything including coraline algea seem to be doing great. My anemones are even moving to the undersides of the live rock. There are tons of feather worms and critters that seem to be thriving. Somebody please explain to me what difference this high wattage for small tanks does and if I should buy somemore lights and what it will do for me and where to buy and what to buy. So many questions but I am baffled.
Thanks in advance, Don

bobsingh1

How long ago did you set up your tank ?
I had a similar experience with my 30 gal. I had a 20 watt bulb on it and I put three corals in my tank. They did great at first and I thought I was home free. After couple of months, corals started to give a different look. They would not open up properly and then came a time they wouldn't bloom at all. Panic gripped me and I upgraded my light using a custom solution from home depot. Increased the wattage to 100 and believe me, the effect was almost immediate. Now, after couple of months, when those lights go on, they take up four to five times the original size.

dcm22

How did you set it up?? What exactly did you buy?? And what type of lights did you put in it?? What baffles me is a light strip you buy in the fish store is only 30Watts. To light my 150 like you guys are talking about, I would never have enough room to fit the lights !!!! HHHEEELLLPPP!!! Thanks in advance. Don

reptilicus

Hi,
basically, the amount of light you will need depends on the critters you are trying to keep. Basically, most corals and many other organisms such as anemones, clams, so gorgonians, etc are photosynthetic, and need light to grow.
In a reef tank, you are trying to simulate as close as possible the natural conditions which would be encountered on a reef. THis includes lighting.
If you look at the amount of lighting on a coral reef, you will get an underwater lux reading of about 15 000-70 000 lux and a depth of 5-20m (16-65') (Jauch, 1988), which is where most of the animals we keep in our aquarium come from. In order to keep them healthy, we must try to replicate this as closely as possible. However, 2 NO fluorescent tubes will not give anything like this reading.
I know many people who have a 400-watt MH over a 29-gallon reef so that they can get reasonable amounts of light to the corals in their system. If you use more intense light, you will get much faster growth and stronger colours from your corals and other photosynthetic organisms. I was amazed at the difference when I switched from 150-watt to 400-watt MH's on my 180-gal. reef. I have no trouble growing Acropora and other SPS corals and the colours that they get are amazing. I bought a brown piece of Acropora from a LFS recently, and now under the 400-watt is has developed green tips and is growing rapidly.
Finally, I should add that the watts per gallon "rule" is just a rough guide, not a hard, fast rule. I know people who have 1000 watts of light over 55-gallon tanks (2 400-watt MH plus 2 VHO actinics). I have a little over 1000 watts over my 180, but again that's not because I set out to put x watts of light over the tank, it's because I felt that for the creatures I would like to keep I would like to have 400-watt MH's. Of course, that is not to say that if all you want to keep is star polyps and mushroom polyps that you should run out and buy 400-watt MH's, but that for most photosynthetic organisms natural light levels are better. An anemone moving around is usually a sign that he is not happy, and this may well be due to the lack of light.
Regards,
Tom

dcm22

Hey Tom, Thanks a ton for the info. very much. I just bought an Ice Cap system that takes me from 120W to 680W. I'll let you know how it comes out in a week or two. Don

reptilicus

Hey,
good for you. You will be amazed at the differnce good lighting will make to your aquarim.
We cannot get VHO here, but I am seriously considering importing an IceCap 660 from the US to give addition actinic blue to my 400-watt MH's.
Glad I could help you out

Tom