More New Puff's For Me!

pufferlover

Picked up 2 figure 8 baby Puffs this morning for 6 bucks each. They have been switched from FW to low salt (.1009) on their way to .1019. They are in qt for now and will be raised in salinity over the next month while they do their observation time. They are so small it is amazing they were caught by anyone for sale. Fins good belly color nice and white (things you want in a spotted or figure 8 Puff). My collection is growing as far as Puffs (now 6 3 Porks, Dog, new ones).

grouperhead

congrats on the new family members puffer! what tank are they in right now? are you gonna put anything in with them? the only figure 8's i have seen at the lfs were in a heavily potted tank by themselves....do you know why they were in these highly vegatatious(is this a word) tanks? bo
[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: Grouperhead ]

pufferlover

If they were in potted tanks (they do eat plants given the chance) they were probably in FW tanks. The beauty of these Puffs is you can go any of 3 ways with them and they will all work (but brackish is the recommended way for long life and happy fish). At the moment these 2 little ones are in a 6 gallon tank for the next month (they are so small the 6 is fine don't anyone fret about that). They have been on the move checking things out all day and I just put them to bed (had to sing them a song first lol). They ate mysis tonight as my lfs did not get there live brine in today due to holiday (coming tomorrow) also they did nibble on some formula one cube pieces I put in. Considering I picked my own out a tank with a fair amount of them I think I did good in my choices.

pufferlover

My wife's comment last night when she spotted the new Puffs (and she always spots the new fish- she has radar in that respect) was so you bought a new pair of twiddle dee and twiddle dumber ( that was her names for the last pair of spotted Puffs I had for a while). She had to admit they are cute little things and she couldn't dispute the cost this time. They are doing just fine and tonight I will go get them some fresh live brine for dinner.

congratulations pufferlover! :) on a side note, I was at an lfs last night and saw (what was being sold as)a blue spotted dogface puffer. It had the normal Arothron body, but was covered by small blue spots. Would definately have picked him up if i had another large aquarium. have you heard of this color morph before?

grouperhead

i think what you are referring to is Arothron meleagris. it is just a different color morph of the golen puffer. the ones i have seen have all commanded a high price around 150 or more dollars. a very beautiful puffer. pl, do you have any other freshwater puffs? bo

pufferlover

Actually the fish described above is the female version of the golden puffer and is expensive (male is a lot more tho). I have a yearning for one of those females but alas no room for it for now.
The only FW Puffers I have ever had were the 2 pairs of spotted a while back that I gace away when I wanted their tanks for other fish (I did keep them full salt tho). Was just turning out the light on the little 8's tank a minute ago and was thinking how neat these fish are and wondering why I gave the others away. I moved these from FW to brackish and think I'll leave them there after reading they do best brackish. These 2 are so small and so cute and tonight they had their live brine shrimp for dinner and enjoyed themselves no end. I highly recommended the F 8's for those who want to try Puffs but don't want to spend a lot the first time around. Also, F 8's and Spotted can be kept in groups which most salt Puffs can not, but be aware they are nippers some they really do best in their own tank.

hey pufferlover, i was checking a few LFS for stuff i "just can't live without" and one of them had 3 unusual freshwater puffers. They were 4 or 5 inches long, mottled brown and had a triangular shape. i think they were called arrowhead puffers. I was just wondering if you had seen these before.

pufferlover

Can't say I have heard or seen those. Most books I have are a little short on brackish Puffs and even Fw ones. I have found tho that there are more species of Puffers then one would ever think there could be going from a few inches to 4 feet.